Re: Dell's New Linux Website

__/ [ thad05@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Saturday 26 May 2007 07:56 \__

>> Many people are already ordering some boxes. They'll be buying some for
>> family and friends, too. And, you know, a friend tells a friend, who tells
>> a friend...
>
> I expect they will see a pretty good spike in sales right at the
> beginning as a result of the launch buzz and the demand that will
> have generated.  Sales will then drop off some but begin to ramp
> back up over time in step with over-all Linux growth trends.  It
> will still be a small slice of their over-all sales, but they are
> no-doubt positioning themselves for long term growth.  Never
> underestimate the power of establishing your brand early in an
> emerging market sector.
>
> If this works out well for Dell, it could break the floodgates
> open among the OEMs.  Linux desktops will be offered by other
> major vendors and might actually find shelf space at a few big
> name retailers.

:-)

I know I repeated this like a dozen times before (here and elsewhere), but
H-P are evaluating this (technically and financially) as well. Here are some
recent items:

Q&A: HP exec says Linux Foundation wants to push OS toward common ground

,----[ Quote ]
| You didn't hear much about it in North America, but over the last six
| months or so, I'm personally hearing a lot more interest in Linux on the
| desktop. It's definitely a focus for the foundation. I think it's an area
| that is kind of a "watch this space" for the next couple [of] years.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9016294&source=rss_news10
http://tinyurl.com/ysjlye

Orbiting Debian: Interview with Bdale Garbee

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a really exciting time to be in this industry. With the kinds
| of phenomenal growth rates we're seeing, Linux and the whole of open
| source is one of the brighter stars in the IT sky right now.
`----

http://tuxdeluxe.org/node/108

Big Debian Linux Payday For HP

,----[ Quote ]
| In fiscal 2006, $25 million in hardware sales in EMEA (Europe,
| Middle East and Africa) were directly related to HP's Debian
| support.
|
| "I was pretty shocked when I found out about this," Jeffrey
| Wade, worldwide marketing manager of open source and Linux at
| HP, told internetnews.com.

More Hope for the Linux Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Far from being uninterested in the Linux desktop, these companies
| all had active assessment programs going on to evaluate it. Driving
| their interest is the cost of doing business with Windows -- not so
| much the licensing fee, but the ongoing need for care and feeding
| of Windows-based machines. While it's easy to see stories about the
| cost of keeping machines virus-free, rebuilt after users install
| malware, etc., it's quite another thing to hear people describe the
| level of effort they absorb just to keep Windows up and running for
| a large user population. From the tone of their voices, they are
| extremely motivated to reduce the support burden of Windows.
|
| [...]
|
| Based on my take regarding the Council's interest in the Linux desktop, I
| would say that these organizations are diligently seeking a desktop
| solution beyond the Microsoft nightmare of purchase, patch, and upgrade.
| When your wealthiest clients are actively looking to stop using your
| solution, you should be worried. I guess there's more potential for the
| Linux desktop than might, at first blush, appear.
`----

http://blogs.cio.com/node/759

HP considering factory-loaded Linux desktops and notebooks

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.techspot.com/news/24571-hp-considering-factoryloaded-linux-desktops-and-notebooks.html

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Never awaking askew, no matter what they ask you
Tasks: 143 total,   1 running, 138 sleeping,   0 stopped,   4 zombie