[News] [Linux] Linux Media Player Gets a Deal, Linux Tablet Tested by Gamer

Sonos Partners With Pandora Music Service

,----[ Quote ]
| Customized streaming radio service will soon be available to users
| of the Sonos wireless music system.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,132181-c,onlineentertainment/article.html

The N800 surfs nicely, but how does it game?

,----[ Quote ]
| The Maemo port of the open-source RPG Nethack absolutely rules:
| a touch-screen RPG for the ages. As for the NES emulator, it
| worked well enough, though it took a while to get adjusted to
| the on-screen button input. Unfortunately, this is where the
| N800 shows its weakness: button layout. With all the buttons
| crammed on the left-hand side and hardly accessible with two
| hands, there's very little hope for much button-based gameplay
| for anything more complex than Tetris or Doom.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/05/24/n800-gaming-overview

It's not intended to be suited for games.

Related:

Nokia N800 Internet Tablet

,----[ Quote ]
| In contrast to the 770, Nokia really nailed it with the N800.
| Almost all of the shortcomings have been addressed, making the
| Internet Tablet an absolute pleasure to use. Is it a must-have
| device? Not really, but I sure enjoy having one.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/n800.ars

Nokia adds FM radio to N800 Internet tablet

,----[ Quote ]
| It's not often that a company ships a gizmo with an entire hardware
| feature unremarked upon and unsupported, then later turns it on free
| of charge - but that's what Nokia did with the new N800 Internet
| tablet. They just released a package which enables an FM radio
| tuner in the unit.
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2007/2/7/14542

A hacker's-eye view of Nokia's N800 Internet Tablet

,----[ Quote ]
| This detailed, hands-on review examines Nokia's Linux-based N800
| Internet Tablet first as a consumer electronics device, and then
| as a platform for open source software development. Reviewer
| Jerry Epplin infuses the review with crotchety humor and
| deeply technical insights.

Nokia's New N800 Internet Tablet

,----[ Quote ]
| In all, the N800 is a feature-packed and mostly easy-to-use device.
`----

http://www.cio-today.com/news/Nokia-s-New-N800-Internet-Tablet/story.xhtml?story_id=13300D2TH3BG

Reviewers converge on new Nokia Internet tablet

,----[ Quote ]
| The N800 shipped Jan. 6 without a peep -- let alone a press release
| -- from Nokia. Nonetheless, the device seems to be attracting more
| interest, at least from the fourth estate, than did the arguably
| more revolutionary 770 Internet tablet from which it evolved.

Nokia N800 Internet Tablet First Thoughts Review

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.tabletpcreview.com/default.asp?newsID=698

,----[ Quote ]
| The world's largest mobile manufacturer Nokia looks to have scored a
| major hit with a new wireless device that doesn't have any phone
| functionality. The Finnish firm announced on Wednesday that, against
| its expectations, it is to increase production of its 770 Internet
| Tablet handheld after achieving huge online sales since its launch
| in early November. In fact, demand for the product in Europe and
| the US is so great that the company has currently run out of
| stock and customers are facing a minimum two-week wait for the device.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/05/electric_nokia770/index%2Ehtml

Linux-powered Nokia 770 handheld applications

,----[ Quote ]
| Several categories of programs run on the 770. Already loaded on the
| device at the factory are a slim version of the popular Opera Web browser,
| an audio player, a video player, a news reader, an email client, and
| various assorted desktop support tools are all part of the default
| offering.
|
| A second category includes mature programs that have been ported over
| from other platforms, but which are not included in the default
| production build. These include a VNC viewer/server, an FTP client, an
| X terminal server, an IRC client, numerous games, and a large
| collection of system-related tools. Some of these programs have
| pseudo-familiar GUIs, while others run from the command line. Note that
| the default production build hides much of the system-level operation
| of the device and keeps the user in the desktop GUI model.
|
| A third category includes programs that are in active development, but
| may not be quite ready for prime time. They include Asterisk, rdesktop,
| kismet, J-Pilot, and Tcl/Tk. There are also several "planned" and
| "wishlist" applications, but they are vaporware at this point. As
| of this writing, there were 103 programs listed in the matures
| oftware category, and 73 in the active development category.
`----

http://hardware.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/05/02/1426210&from=rss

Nokia 770 to get phone capabilities

,----[ Quote ]