[News] [Linux] How Novell Sold Out Linux Developers (But Linux Will Endure)

Patent News from Novell and Moglen

,----[ Quote ]
| Meanwhile, Antone Gonsalves at EETimes reports that Microsoft says
| it isn't attacking Open Source. It is just responding to customer
| demand. Shades of SCO. Must be the same customers SCO told us were
| begging them to set up SCOsource licensing. Here's what Microsoft's
| Bob Muglia said:
|
|     Muglia said Microsoft was focused on interoperability with open
|     source software, not on challenging the use of its intellectual
|     property in court. "Our approach is a licensing based one," Muglia
|     said. "It's a real issue for customers, and one that Microsoft
|     is addressing proactively."
|
| I just can't turn off my paralegal brain, which translates that to
| say: We won't sue you as long as you pay us. I believe I can get
| similar terms from the Mafia.
|
| [...]
|
| Update: Another part of Shankland's report has this offensive bit,
| from Justin Steinman. Who else?
|
|    Microsoft's patent tally news both pleased and displeased Novell,
|    said Justin Steinman, the company's marketing director for Linux.
|
|    On the displeased side, Novell saw the news as "another round of,
|    '0h no, here we go again.' We generally think comments like that
|    aren't productive," Steinman said.
|
|     On the pleased side, Novell potentially can profit from the
|     saber-rattling. "If Microsoft is going to go out and raise
|     concerns, we are comfortable we can offer (customers) coverage,"
|     Steinman said. Overall, though, Novell wasn't pleased. "Do we
|     wish the tone of the article had been different? I think so."
|
| I could probably make some money selling my mother's blood, if I
| had no conscience. Or I could rob a liquor store. There's money in
| that, I hear. Profit isn't the only indicator of whether a deal is
| a good idea or not.

Novell, Microsoft, patents and the EFF

,----[ Quote ]
| Some will say Microsoft pressure made them do it, but I think the
| companies concerned were big enough to make their own decisions.

Ubuntu chief: Microsoft will lose patent war

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/113929/ubuntu-chief-microsoft-will-lose-patent-war.html