[News] [Linux] Review of the Linux-based ClassMate Notebook

Five days with the Classmate PC and Mandriva

,----[ Quote ]
| It's to be officially released and shipped en masse to schools in
| Africa and South and Central America by the end of June. Recently
| my children and I borrowed a Classmate PC loaded with a custom
| version of Mandriva Linux. Most of us had fun.

Bridging the Digital Education Gap in Uruguay

,----[ Quote ]
| "There are 1 billion school-age children in the developing world,
| and most don't have an opportunity to learn," said Walter Bender,
| president of software for the One Laptop Per Child project. "We're
| trying to go where there's an education gap, as technology happens
| to be a vehicle to bridge that gap."

Negroponte says Intel should be "ashamed of itself"

,----[ Quote ]
| He is furious that Intel's CEO Craig Barrett called the One Laptop a
| gadget. The Negroponte initiative is caught in the middle of a vicious
| fight between AMD and Intel, he said.

One Laptop Per Child - Production Delays Caused By Microsoft, Intel?

,----[ Quote ]
| I sincerely hope that no matter what the people who are running the
| OLPC project decide, that their project will continue and not get
| bogged down in a play of corporate greed and ambitions.
`----

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/blade/2007/04/28/one-laptop-per-child-production-delays-caused-by-microsoft-intel/

Intel Settles Legal Dispute in China

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2005, a unit of Shenzhen Donjin countersued, saying Intel engaged
| in monopolistic practices.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070514/china_intel_settlement.html?.v=7

Intel is "predatory", Pegasus claims