Re: [News] [Linux] Pro-Microsoft Blogger Spews Out Linux FUD, Gets Rebuttal

  • Subject: Re: [News] [Linux] Pro-Microsoft Blogger Spews Out Linux FUD, Gets Rebuttal
  • From: "amicus_curious" <ACDC@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 18:37:50 -0400
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
<thad05@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:lgdhi4-6ae.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> amicus_curious <ACDC@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Just another Linux fan with his head in the sand and not willing to face
>> facts.  He went to sleep himself in 1999, when Linux was unknown on the
>> desktop, and just woke up 10 minutes ago and hasn't yet noticed that
>> Linux
>> is still unknown on the desktop.  He says that the millions of Windows
>> users
>> who just use it without any nevermind may or may not exist, but he knows
>> couple of people who have trouble.  Of course he didn't suggest that
>> those
>> people are switching to Linux either.  The facts are that people do want
>> easier and better and more secure, but they want Windows to do that.
>> They
>> don't want anything else.
>
> Linux is far from 'nowhere' on the desktop.  It is still admittedly a
> minor player, but it is in the same ballpark as the Mac (has likely
> surpassed it actually), is the fastest growing OS, and is certainly
> much farther along than it was in 1999.  Big things are happening
> with the Linux desktop, and the recent move by Dell is only one small
> sign of it.

A very small sign indeed.  But what of your thesis?  It seems that any
metric that shows Linux in a short position is pooh-poohed by the bretheren
as inaccurate, unscientific, or paid for by Microsoft or similar and any
that suggest that Linux is on the increase are heralded as proven fact.  It
does seem sort of indicative when one sees Red Hat's loss of momentum in the
business sense and the click-through indicators still show Linux as rarely
encountered, but you all of course explain them away with some notion that
the Linux web surfers are all spoofing as IE.  Hard to say.

One thing is pretty certain, though, you can't walk into a common store such
as Best Buy, Costco, Sams, Walmart, Office Depot, Radio Shack, or the like
and buy a Linux machine.  But if you think big things are happening, keep
the faith.

>> Well, as long as all the Linux proponents stand around like dumb schmucks
>> fantasizing how they are due to triumph any time now and continue to do
>> nothing to make it happen, all the better for Mr. Softee.
>
> Quite a few Linux proponents are doing much more than 'nothing'.  I've
> personally handed out quite a few Linux CDs and installed it on quite
> a few computers for a variety of people.  Others on this forum have
> done likewise.  Furthermore, over the years I've transitioned my
> consulting business to a primarily Linux and open source focus, and
> I promote those solutions to my clients.  Just today I was contacted
> by one of those clients asking for Linux training for his employees.

You have a "Linux consulting business"?  Do you make much money at it? What
would a Linux "consultant" consult about?

> If you think Linux is 'nowhere', you have your head buried in the
> sand.  It is one of the fastest growing technologies in I.T.

It gets a lot of talk to be sure, but there doesn't seem to be that much
action.