Re: [News] [Linux] Linux Home Servers Put Microsoft to Shame

The Ghost In The Machine came up with this when s/he headbutted the keyboard
a moment ago in comp.os.linux.advocacy:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [H]omer
> <spam@xxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 23 May 2007 06:57:08 +0100
> <lm1di4-nhg.ln1@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> Hardware Review: Bubba - The Linux-Based Mini Server
>>
>> Now available with a 750GB HDD and in a sky blue anodised finish for 400
>> squid.
>>
>> http://excito.com/minishop.html
>>
>> Nice.
>>

> I'll admit to some curiosity as to why the EU price for a
> 750 GB unit (white or blue) is 595 Euro(+ 30Eu shipping
> and handling) but the non-EU price is only 476(+ 40Eu).
> Does the Swedish VAT only apply in the EU?
>
> Cute little unit, if not horribly powerful (200 MHz ARM9,
> w/64MB RAM).  Might be useful as a file/mail server,
> though; I don't know how it compares pricewise with other
> solutions.

performance/pricing wise, pretty poorly against an x86:

VIA Nehemiah 1.0GHz on nano ATX Epia-M board: Â95
256MB PC2100 DDR: Â19
2x400GB PATA: @Â85, Â170
CDROM: Â4
Case/psu/cables: Â25

Build total: Â313 (retail pricing, inclusive of VAT)

Go with an Athlon XP 2400+ on a Matsonic 8157E (I use a server based on this
processor/board combo, it's four years old and it's rock solid), you can
save yourself upwards of Â40 on the build cost. The two main advantages of
using a VIA setup are that it uses no fan on the processor/chipset,
following that it is a very low consumption base on which to build.
--
Spanking brand new high end desktop computer: Â1700
Spanking brand new colour laser printer/scanner/copier/fax: Â600