Re: [News] [Linux] Xen Opens Up Further, Leaps Ahead of VMWare in Places

  • Subject: Re: [News] [Linux] Xen Opens Up Further, Leaps Ahead of VMWare in Places
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 01:33:56 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
> New Xen Opens Up a Little More

> | Xen 3.1 extends the open source virtualization technology with
> | new API support, improved 64-bit paravirtualization and a feature
> | for moving virtual machines on the fly. Xen is an included
> | component in a number of Linux distributions, including Red
> | Hat, Novell and Ubuntu.
> `----
>
> http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3679171

I may be an utter Geek when it comes to virtualisation and other
technologies like storage solutions, but the recent enhancements to Xen
really are worth getting excited about. It's only really starting to
come into its own, so maybe people don't really understand the impact
this technology will have on the way we use computers. I'm really only
just getting into it myself, but what I've seen so far is quite
inspirational. Having multiple virtual appliances running, all at native
speeds, in a secure environment, and now also able to be transferred
without interruption to service, is a real revelation.

> Xen beats VMware to native 64-bit punch

Proprietary vendors are Luddites when it comes to 64bit support.

--
K.
http://slated.org

,----
| Amarok Now Playing: "/mnt/sky/The Sad But True Story Of Ray Mingus,
| The Lumberjack Of Bulk Rock City, And His Never Slacking Stribe In
| Exploiting The So Far Undiscovered Areas Of The Intention To Bodily
| Intercourse From The Opposite Species Of His Kind, During Intake Of
| All The Mental Condition That Could Be Derived From Fermentation.ogg"
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2312.fc5
 01:32:16 up 36 days, 23:04,  1 user,  load average: 0.14, 0.17, 0.23