Re: [Linux] Indian Resellers Threaten Microsoft with GNU/Linux Migrations

On Tue, 22 May 2007 08:41:00 -0700, John Bailo <jabailo@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> I feel about software piracy about the same way I feel about music
>> piracy.  While I believe the law should be respected and obeyed, I
>> shed few tears for the music industry, which has obviously been fixing
>> prices on CDs for many years.
>
>To me, the real message is that PCs are not jukeboxes.
>
>Yes, they can play "videos" and mp3s and all kinds of great media...but
>in all this arguing about rights what seems to be forgotten is that the
>PC is a /creative/ tool -- not just a radio.
>
>Gaming is far more natural to the PC.   The creative worlds of Second
>Life, or even a good fighting game like Unreal offer enourmous ranges
>for creating and participating.
>
>I like listening to a good album on my mp3 player as much as anyone,
>which is why I subscribe to Rhapsody to Go for $15 a month.  And why I
>subscribe to Netflix for $20.
>
>But those things to me aren't what computing is all about...so let them
>strangulate canned, recorded media.   It's not what Linux, or PCs or OSS
>are about -- Linux/OSS is about /control/ of the system...which means
>that we can make our own entertainment.

If therewere no  Opra or Jerry Springer, TV and cable sales would
tank. The same applies to PCs. I agree with you about jukebox thing
but the problem is a lot of customers want multimedia and multimedia
sells PCs.