[News] [Rival] Windows Involves a Lot of Tinkering and Experts

Installing a Vista CableCARD Media Center PC (part 1): Fiasco!

,----[ Quote ]
| How many people does it take to install a Vista CableCARD-enabled
| Media Center PC?
|
| The answer is six. Or at least it would be six if the installation
| had actually been successful.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/21/installing-a-vista-cablecard-media-center-pc-part-1-fiasco/

Very detailed. And they say MythTV can be hard to set up...

Related:

Pre-build MythTV Linux PVR eats Windows MCE for breakfast

,----[ Quote ]
| Basically this is an unpack-and-plug-in solution to your media
| streaming/live TV pausing/scheduled recording needs.  Yes, you
| could build your own Linux box and install MythTV, but this saves
| you all the effort, is cheaper than a Windows Media Centre and
| gives you access to a vast range of fan-programmed add-ons.
`----

http://www.slashgear.com/pre-build-mythtv-linux-pvr-eats-windows-mce-for-breakfast-152985.php

Linux as a Media Centre

,----[ Quote ]
| As far as comparing Mythtv to Windows Media Centre, there is really
| no comparison, Mythtv is in a class of its own and puts WMC to shame
| in almost every department possible. This is the sort of application
| that could introduce Linux to many new users and households. Well done
| Isaac and the rest of the team, keep up the good work.
`----

http://www.linuxforums.org/multimedia/linux_as_a_media_centre.html?

Monolith Media Center brings MythTV to the technophobe

,----[ Quote ]
| If MythTV's promise of a free Windows Media Center alternative sounds
| exciting, but you can't quite bring yourself to navigate the trials of
| a Linux install on your own, then you might be interested in
| Monolith's pre-built Media Center PCs, which come with MythTV
| pre-installed on top of Ubuntu Linux.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/16/monolith-media-center-brings-mythtv-to-the-technophobe

MythTV vs Windows Media Centre: is Linux still in with a chance?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.apcstart.com/site/amills/2006/09/1458/mythtv-vs-windows-media-centre-is-linux-still-in-with-a-chance