[News] [OSS] Threat of IP Lawsuits "Vastly Overstated"

Open source takes center stage

,----[ Quote ]
| OSBC arrives, Month of Enterprise Startups continues, and open
| source IP threats are put to rest
|
| [...]
|
| Assuming that whets your appetite for more on the topic, I suggest you dig
| into Neil McAllister's "How risky is open source?" -- a look at the legally
| fraught issue of intellectual property in open source. Among other
| findings, Neil points out that the threat of lawsuits is vastly overstated,
| because so many vendors are locked into a "mutually assured destruction" |
| detente over patents.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/05/21/21OPeditor_1.html

How risky is open source?

,----[ Quote ]
| Often overstated, intellectual property threats apply to both
| proprietary and open source code
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/05/21/21FEopensourceip_1.html

Analysts: Microsoft's patent claims against open source are no grounds for
panic

,----[ Quote ]
| Organizations that use free software such as Linux shouldn't "panic
| or be concerned about paying Microsoft licensing fees," the analysts
| write in their assessment.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/89969

Engineering Dean discusses obviousness in KSR v. Teleflex

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://ipbiz.blogspot.com/2007/05/engineering-dean-discusses-obviousness.html