Re: [News] Skype Brings Video to GNU/Linux Client!

____/ Attila on Saturday 10 November 2007 09:13 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> ____/ Attila on Friday 09 November 2007 08:30 : \____
>
>>> On another point, have you followed what Skype is doing regarding North
>>> American 0-800 numbers?
>>> Cheers,
>>> Attila
>>

>> I've done several Web searched (new and old), but could not find anything.
>> Never seen anything in the news, either.
>>
>> In any event, it's important to ensure that Skype has competition it its
>> game. They seem to have capitalised in their area, so they can get away
>> with quite a
>> lot (including their NSA flirts and  neglect of GNU/Linux users). Some
>> links appended, in case you're interested (at risk of making Skype argue
>> that Free software users are grumpy and opinionated).
>
> Here's part of the Ekiga thread I was referring to re. 1800 numbers and
> Skype.
>

>>     I hate to bring up the "S" word (it royally pisses me off when
>> Skype can do something that Ekiga can't) but the fact is that I have
>> yet to come across a single 1800 number in the US that Skype can't
>> reach at no charge. This without registering to anything other than
>> Skype.
>>
>>    How come that Skype can do it whereas Ekiga can't?
>
> Skype has paid contracts with long-distance providers, ekiga.net
> relies on those available free-of-charge through the likes of
> freeworlddialup.  I am expect Skype has leverage with one of its
> providers to properly terminate all 1-800 calls without charging you.
>
> If you register your copy of Ekiga with a SIP provider that has POTS
> relationships, then you will probably get better 1-800  service.
> Cheers,
> Attila

So you need a 'special' phone to reach certain destinations (analogy). That's
akin to the Sony TV analogy used by the OSC to portray the MSBBC's abuse of
GNU/Linux and Mac users. Appalling. Phonelines are not a private property
(well, they ought not to be).

The Intel-Dell-MS oligopoly/treo can be weakened by competition (Freedom)
Tasks: 118 total,   1 running, 116 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie