[News] [Rival] Microsoft Dumps Money on 'Partner' to Drop Allegations, Forget Crimes

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Dumps Money on 'Partner' to Drop Allegations, Forget Crimes
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 06:41:09 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Novell Settles One Antitrust Claim with Microsoft for $536 Million

,----[ Quote ]
| Novell has announced an agreement with Microsoft to settle potential
| antitrust litigation related to Novell's NetWare operating system in exchange
| for $536 million in cash.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/general/14223/novell-settles-one-antitrust-claim-microsoft-536-million

Another one of the hidden benefits from the patent deals. Another includes the
antitrust case in the EU, where Novell ceased to be involved. Microsoft
is /BUYING/ the market and pays bail whenever it commits crime.

Related:

Microsoft's Dirty OEM-Secret

,----[ Quote ]
| They are, in short the secret to Microsoft's success. And the word
| secret is to be taken quite literally: No OEM may talk about the
| contents of his contract, or he will lose his license, and (assumption)
| likely be sued for breach of contract as well.
`----

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2001/10/23/13219/110

Microsoft 'killed Dell Linux' - States

,----[ Quote ]
| "I'm thinking of hitting the OEMs harder than in the past with anti-Linux.
| ... they should do a delicate dance," Kempin wrote to Ballmer, in what is
| sure to be a memorable addition to the phrases ("knife the baby", "cut off
| the air supply") with which Microsoft enriched the English language in the
| first trial. Unlike those two, this is not contested.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/03/19/microsoft_killed_dell_linux_states/

Jury Hears Microsoft Competition Suit

,----[ Quote ]
| A judge on Friday told jurors they must accept as fact that a
| federal court found in 1999 that Microsoft holds a monopoly over
| computer operating systems and that it restricted computer
| manufacturers' ability to use competing systems.
|
| [...]
|
| She said she'll show that the company used its monopoly power
| to exclude competition and control prices and that it conspired with
| other companies to restrain trade, maintaining what she called a
| chokehold on software competitors and computer manufacturers.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061201/microsoft_trial.html?.v=1

Africa: 'Microsoft is Imperialistic' Says Open Source Advocates

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corporation's products have been locked out of the
| on-going World Social Forum (WSF) in Nairobi Kenya.
|
| With over 300 computers provided for participants and the press,
| organizers of the WSF have preferred to provide open source
| software products and blocked all Microsoft related products for
| the forum's usage and its related activities.
|
| [...]
|
| Activists at the forum also believe that since Microsoft is a
| corporate brand from the United States of America, a country
| they believe has intentions of maintaining the status quo of
| a unipolar world over which it is above international law and
| the UN, the brand should be locked out.
|
| [...]
|
| "The open source movement is providing Linux, a robust free
| software. Everybody owns it and it can be shared. And this
| is what WSF is all about - a free society, a movement
| fighting for ownership of free resources" he adds.
`----

http://allafrica.com/stories/200701230831.html

Dell Mail Reeks of Redmond's Fear

,----[ Quote ]
| The e-mails focus on Microsoft's position toward Dell. But one of the
| last e-mails, from Paul Flessner, underscores the severity of the
| Linux threat.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft's current behavior - whacking partners and treating
| software users like drug users - is driven by fear. It's driven
| by the fear of losing more than anything else. Microsoft was
| built on Gates' competitive personality. Neither does Microsoft
| really understand the power of collaboration, and fear is their
| response. If Microsoft's latest patent submission - the DRM'ed
| modular OS - is any indicator, then Seattle needs to prepare
| for the economic implosion of Mount Saint Redmond.

Microsoft Exec Wanted To Mask Linux Report Sponsorship, E-mails Reveal

,----[ Quote ]
| And the month before, Houston wrote Johnson a message that intimated
| pressure had been put on IDC to tweak the report so it would put
| Microsoft in a better light. "I hate to put it like this, but at
| this point, IDC is done negotiating with us. We have moved them
| quite a bit already, but they are now holding the line, saying
| that if we want the names of their 'big' analysts on the report,
| this is it."
|
| Although Microsoft's Web site still hosts a Dec. 17, 2002 press
| release extolling the TCO survey, the study itself has been
| removed.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197002546

Dell's secret Linux fling

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell's love affair with Linux is a clandestine affair these days,
| conducted in secret, away from disapproving eyes. But now the pair
| have been spotted in China.
|
| When Michael Dell first saw the web-footed beauty, he fell head over
| heels. Six years ago Dell pledged a series of strategic investments
| in Linux companies, including Eazel and Red Hat. The romance
| attracted the disapproval of Microsoft however, and barely lasted
| weeks. Very quietly, Dell dumped the bird.
|
| It later emerged that Microsoft's OEM enforcer Joachim Kempin had
| promised Steve Ballmer that he'd be putting the screws on PC
| builders, or "hitting the OEMs harder" in his words.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/09/dell_linux_china/

Dell's Confused Compatibility

,----[ Quote ]
| I decided to buy a Microsoft-Free Linux PC. When I was finished
| specc'ing out my system, I got this nice compatibility notice.
`----

http://www.elflord.net/wtf.jpg

Is it Dell vs. SPEC? or Dell vs. Linux?

,----[ Quote ]