[News] [Rival] Another Big Delay for a Failing Microsoft Product

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Another Big Delay for a Failing Microsoft Product
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 03:57:11 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft Surface tabletops delayed until spring 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is delaying delivery of the first Surface shipments until spring
| 2008, officials told News.com this week. It turns out customizing the
| hardware and software that powers a “Big Ass Table” is harder than it looked.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=926

To cash cows: Windows and Office. Crime for OOXML and dumping of cheap Windows
to fight GNU/Linux. That's what keeps Microsoft from losing everything...

Related:

Bumps on the road to Microsoft's Surface

,----[ Quote ]
| Although Microsoft is still getting plenty of "oohs" and "aahs" when it demos
| its Surface computer, the company is finding the task of bringing the
| tabletop computer to market a little rougher than it anticipated.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6217673.html

Microsoft Delays Office for Mac Release

,----[ Quote ]
| The software maker previously said the new suite, which is to include
| Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and the Entourage e-mail program,
| would go on sale sometime in the second half of 2007.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070802/microsoft_mac_office_delayed.html?.v=2

Microsoft: No Rush to Vista SP1

,----[ Quote ]
| Those enterprises holding off Windows Vista deployments for Service Pack 1
| maybe shouldn't wait on Microsoft.The question: Should they deploy Vista or
| XP?
|
| Until today, the silence around SP1 was downright frightening. Other than
| responding to a Google legal complaint, Microsoft has been mum about SP1's
| delivery. Microsoft still is not saying when, but it is now saying the update
| isn't that important.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/vista/microsoft_no_rush_to_vista_sp1.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

It is Silly to Wait for Windows 7

,----[ Quote ]
| Do you really want to wait for Windows 7 instead of upgrading to Windows
| Vista? What if there were more problems in Windows 7? What if the date slips
| again. What if it takes two years for Windows 7 to stabilize after its
| release?
`----

http://www.windowsvistaweblog.com/2007/07/31/it-is-silly-to-wait-for-windows-7/

It's Official: An Unofficial Delay

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft isn't characterizing the launch announcement as a ship delay, which
| is possible because of the "2008" nomenclature and the likelihood that the
| software will be released to manufacturing this year. My guess is that will
| happen around November, unless there are unforeseen development problems.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/server/its_official_an_unofficial_delay.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Windows Fiji: Now second half of 2008?

,----[ Quote ]
| Because Microsoft won’t comment officially on “Fiji,” the expected,
| standalone update to Windows Media Center, it’s tough to confirm a date slip.
|
| But Chris Lanier, a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) in
| the digital media arena, is predicting that Fiji won’t debut in 2007,
| as Microsoft and other interested parties had been predicting.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=520

Multi-touch support for MPX [in Linux]

,----[ Quote ]
| MPX already supported multiple input devices. Which blows pretty much all
| assumptions in user interfaces (input) out of the water. Now I've gone one
| step further and added support for multi-touch displays. Have a look at this
| video...
`----

http://wearables.unisa.edu.au/mpx/?q=node/86

Microsoft Rips off Researchers at Pompeu Fabra University of Barcelona

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently while on vacation I was flipping channels and came across a
| channel called “current TV”, what caught my eye was a  computer  booting
| to Kubuntu. This computer looked remarkably like Microsoft’s new
| Surface touch table. Funny thing is the reactable has been around
| over three years and research has been going on much longer than that.
`----

http://dthomasdigital.wordpress.com/2007/06/22/microsoft-rips-off-researchers-at-pompeu-fabra-university-of-barcelona/

Microsoft Surface idea not that new?

,----[ Quote ]
| An attached PC, running Linux and Reactrix software, calculates the
| location and movement of an object interrupting the beam and enables
| the system to allow a basic interaction with projected content.
`----

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32389/118/

Jeff Han's Research Ripped by Microsoft Surface?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.jorispoort.com/2007/05/jeff-hans-research-ripped-by-microsoft.html