Re: [News] [Rival] Users Very Unhappy with Vista, Ancient Bugs Re-emerge

____/ BearItAll on Friday 09 November 2007 15:02 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>

>> Anti-Features
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | DRM and trusted/treacherous computing  systems are, in many ways, an
>> | extreme example of anti-features.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | Unfortunately for the companies and individuals trying to push
>> | anti-features, users increasingly often have alternatives in free
>> | software. Similar to Mozilla's pop-up blocking feature, RAW was
>> | low-hanging fruit for the free software developers working on CHDK. The
>> | absence of similar anti-features form some of the the easiest victories
>> | for free software. It does not cost free software developers anything to
>> | avoid anti-features. In many cases, doing nothing is exactly what users
>> | want.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/antifeatures
>
> That one isn't entirely fair to MS.
>
> The changes were intended for the right reasons. The same spec in the hands
> of another OS development team would have yeilded good results, even at the
> loss of backwards compatibility.
>
> The new memory model would have made things difficult for virus writers, at
> least for a time, it was the sort of change that would have to be a moving
> target, but once implemented, moving the target without harming the system
> was very possible.
>
> The program control that was meant to be a sort of SELinux for Windows, was
> also a good idea. The implementation turned out to be crap, but that
> doesn't mean the idea was a bad one.
>
> So all in all Microsoft Vista is a great product. The fact that it doesn't
> work is only to do with the fact that they only had about 5 years to write
> it and their programmers are absolutely crap :)
>
> I'm sorry, I really meant to say something nice about MS there, but I just
> couldn't get it to come out.

Taking shortcuts is probably something that comes at a cost and Vista is a good
example of this. Sooner or later they needed to have an O/S where visit a page
does /not/ equate to /execute/ (and the same goes for clicking some arbitrary
object).

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Windows XP: Dude, where's my RAM?
Mem:    515500k total,   447712k used,    67788k free,     1016k buffers