[News] Linux/GNU Makes Printing Far Easier Than Windows

  • Subject: [News] Linux/GNU Makes Printing Far Easier Than Windows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 10:12:32 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Christer Edwards: Ubuntu 7.10 vs Windows XP : The Story of the Hotel Printer

,----[ Quote ]
| I then click print in Evince and out comes the document.  Done.  You know,
| people still insist on telling me that they don’t want to run Linux because
| its harder, or that Windows XP just works for what they want to do.  Are you
| kidding me?  Just this evening it took me twice as much work to *try* and
| print something, which never worked.  Ubuntu “just worked”… go figure.
`----

http://www.linuxindex.com/2007/11/08/christer-edwards-ubuntu-710-vs-windows-xp-the-story-of-the-hotel-printer/

Related:

OpenPrinting/LinuxFoundation: "Hiring for Implementing PDF Printing Workflow"

,----[ Quote ]
| Here is a recent announcement from the OpenPrinting workgroup, hosted by the
| Linux Foundation.
`----

http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/2978

IBM Adds New Features to Innovative Print Automation Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Infoprint ProcessDirector is built on IBM DB2 Universal Database,
| embedded IBM Web server software, and runs on an IBM System x
| server using the Linux operating system.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/060912/0161868.html

Desktop fabricator may kick-start home revolution

,----[ Quote ]
| A cheap self-assembly device capable of fabricating 3D objects
| has been developed by US researchers. They hope the machine
| could kick start a revolution in home fabrication --
| or "rapid prototyping" -- just as early computer kits sparked
| an explosion in home computing.
`----

http://www.newscientisttech.com/article/dn10922-desktop-fabricator-may-kickstart-home-revolution.html#

Real-time Linux simulates toner motion for printer design

,----[ Quote ]
| Concurrent reports that its commercial, real-time Linux
| implementation for multi-processor AMD Opteron processors
| was selected by a Toshiba engineering team designing
| multi-function peripherals with built-in laser printers.
| Toshiba engineers will use the "RedHawk" real-time OS for
| time-critical simulation of toner particle motion, the
| vendor said.

Vista sends 49,693 page print job to printer

,----[ Quote ]
| Well obviously I didn't intend for this to happen. I chose file->print
| inside Firefox 2.0.0.1 running on Vista Enterprise. I just assumed
| it printed the one page I requested, but when I went to the printer
| in the next room, I discovered it was spewing out pages with nothing
| but the header and footer from Firefox. Great work, Microsoft. Or
| maybe it is Firefox's fault? Who the hell knows.
`----

http://www.hinerman.net/blog/?p=63

Installing A New Printer. Windows vs. Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows - 40 Minutes
|
| [...]
|
| Linux - 2 Minutes
|
| While I was waiting for the first round of software to install on Windows, I
| turned to my laptop running Ubuntu to see if I could get it setup to print as
| well. I launched the printing configuration tool. Clicked on "New Printer".
| Typed in the IP address I had assigned to the printer and selected the model
| number.
`----

http://www.thesourceshow.org/node/69

More Fun With Printing

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall, if you choose your printers carefully, printing on
| Linux is powerhouse, and getting better all the time.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/05/more_fun_with_printing.html

The Epson Stylus C88 Printer, works in Linux but not in Windows?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://hmtk.com/blog/index.php?/archives/82-The-Epson-Stylus-C88-Printer,-works-in-Linux-but-not-in-Windows.html