Re: [News] Company Makes Linux Booting Much Faster, Deployment Made Easier Also

____/ ed on Thursday 08 November 2007 14:41 : \____

> On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 23:05:30 +0000
>
>> Linux Boot Time Greatly Reduced, x86 Version of TP InstantBoot
>> Announced
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The boot loader extension transfers and expands the image to the
>> memory at | startup and returns the state of the InstantBoot driver
>> to what it was just | before power was shut off. The solution reduces
>> startup time through a | combination of these processes.
>> `----
>>
>> http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20071107/141935/
>
> I think if one compiles the kernel so that it's monolithic without
> module loading things get going a bit quicker. The kitchen sink kernels
> that have a bunch of stuff that's not required will take longer to boot
> and compile.
>
> This might make it a bit easier to distribute for embedded systems
> though if the state is saved like this suggests.

The company exaggerates when it comes to boot times (marketing talk) because
many distributions disabled some services to make booting fast. OpenSUSE, for
example, would take about 30 seconds to boot on a fast PC.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Never awaking askew, no matter what they ask you
         run-level 2  2007-10-30 19:49                   last=