[News] Open Source Software 'Finally' Ported to GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Open Source Software 'Finally' Ported to GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 07:30:14 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
GroundWork Open Source unveils IT monitoring app for Ubuntu Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| GroundWork Open Source Inc.'s free IT infrastructure monitoring software is
| available now for the first time for Ubuntu Linux and other Debian-based
| Linux operating systems.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9045937&source=rss_news50

GroundWork -- not quite open source at all, let alone Free.

Thoughts on Open Source, Data Services, and Integration

,----[ Quote ]
| If these points are not considered on a daily basis, the code does not have
| the level of modularity and simple APIs that are needed to facility
| bazaar-style development. Even the best intentions of new, external
| developers can be frustrated by unnecessary prerequisites. And as anyone
| trying to build a community knows: The most important ingredient is to make
| it easy to join and get started. In our case here this means: Make it easy to
| be productive and achieve the rewarding feeling of success.
|
| The funny thing is: The importance of modularization, APIs and encapsulation
| is taught in every entry-level class for software design. We all know that
| already. And yet, unless we internalize and continuously remember the lessons
| that successful distributed projects can teach us, it remains exceedingly
| easy for our co-located, 100% committed teams to end up producing code that
| is just not suitable for a bazaar.
`----

http://blog.snaplogic.org/?p=112

Toshiba Standardizes on CCS Technology at 65nm to Improve Accuracy and Designer
Productivity

,----[ Quote ]
| ...Toshiba Corporation has standardized on the open source Liberty(TM)
| Composite Current Source (CCS) modeling technology for its CMOS5/TC320C
| 65-nanometer (nm) production libraries.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/prnewswire/AQTU05306112007-1.htm

What on earth is open source Liberty(TM)? Anything like GPL(R)? Where is OSI?

Related:

Misys aims to open source healthcare, but forgets the source

,----[ Quote ]
| What benefits will Misys derive from open source if it doesn't engage an
| external development community? Microsoft and others have been sharing source
| for some time, under proprietary licenses. That's not open source, and I
| don't believe that is what Misys has in mind. So why not do more than issue
| bold press releases? Open source is not marketing. It's an extended
| engagement with a community larger than any one person or company.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9803622-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Using open source as a marketing ploy

,----[ Quote ]
| This is typical trend riding fluff. If you go the Aras website you
| read about "Microsoft Enterprise Open Source Solutions", which is
| comical in and of itself.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/01/more_open_sourc.html

Will The Real Open Source CRM Please Stand Up?

,----[ Quote ]
| Dana Blankenhorn's story How far can open source CRM get? has finally
| pushed me to respond to the many people who have asked "When is the
| OSI going to stand up to companies who are flagrantly abusing the term
| 'open source'?" The answer is: starting today.
`----

http://opensource.org/node/163

After 10 years: What is Open Source?

http://www.libervis.com/article/after_10_years_what_is_open_source