[News] Red Hat Wants Capitalisation (Heaps of Linux Announcements from Red Hat Released)

  • Subject: [News] Red Hat Wants Capitalisation (Heaps of Linux Announcements from Red Hat Released)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 04:14:14 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Red Hat strategy spans virtualized, cloud and appliance deployments

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat Executive Vice President of Engineering Paul Cormier on Nov. 7
| predicted that Red Hat’s new Linux Automation strategy, which allows Red
| Hat-certified applications to run anywhere, at any time, will help the
| company to more than double its current server market share. In addition, he
| said, Red Hat Enterprise Linux will have “over 50 percent of server market
| share by 2015.”                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Red Hat partners with Amazon for Enterprise Linux fabric in Elastic Compute
Cloud

,----[ Quote ]
| My take on these announcements is that Red Hat wants to take its Linux
| distribution clout far beyond the market for dedicated servers and blades at
| individual enterprises, and become the de facto industry standard for how
| hosting organizations, telecommunications providers, entertainment providers,
| and on-demand ISVs deploy all their applications over the next 10 years.
`----

http://smokie.outblogger.com/note/8331/red-hat-partners-with-amazon-for.html

This isn't the first time they they outline plans to conquer and grab Windows'
lunch (not just UNIX). That's why Microsoft signed an anti-Red Hat deal with
Novell.

Big chunk of new press releases...

Red Hat Announces Red Hat Enterprise Linux Available On Demand on Amazon
Elastic Compute Cloud

,----[ Quote ]
| This collaboration makes all the capabilities of Red Hat Enterprise Linux,
| including the Red Hat Network management service, world-class technical
| support and over 3,400 certified applications, available to customers on
| Amazon's proven network infrastructure and datacenters.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/071107/20071107005892.html?.v=1

Red Hat Announces Appliance Platform to Improve Economics and Expand Market for
Software Vendors

,----[ Quote ]
| The Red Hat Appliance Operating System will allow applications that are
| certified on Red Hat Enterprise Linux to be deployed as software appliances
| on the broadest range of servers in the industry, including those running Red
| Hat Enterprise Linux, VMware ESX and Microsoft Windows Viridian.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/071107/20071107005891.html?.v=1

Red Hat Enables Virtualization for Millions of Servers

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.1 virtualization delivers considerably broader
| server support than proprietary virtualization products, and up to twice the
| performance.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/071107/20071107005894.html?.v=1

Red Hat Infrastructure Strategy Spans Virtualized, Cloud and Appliance
Deployments

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat's Linux Automation strategy covers all facets of the IT environment
| necessary to enable any application to be run anywhere, at any time.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/071107/20071107005924.html?.v=1

Seems like some fluff... less about new products. Desktop Red Hat (RHEL) is
coming soon...

Related:

Red Hat and Sun Collaborate to Advance Open Source Java Technology

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat, the world's leading provider of open source solutions, today
| announced an agreement with Sun Microsystems to advance open source Java™
| software. Red Hat has signed Sun's broad contributor agreement that covers
| participation in all Sun-led open source projects by all Red Hat engineers.
`----

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20071105005882&newsLang=en
http://tinyurl.com/yq3oul

Red Hat small business desktops available in Australia early 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Mr Riveros, Red Hat's new Linux desktop release will be easy to
| implement by small businesses with no Linux expertise in house and will
| require less security knowledge than for Microsoft Windows.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/13943/53/

Leading Italian Organizations Rely on Red Hat Solutions for Performance
Enhancements and Cost-Savings

,----[ Quote ]
| Similarly, Iride Energia, part of Gruppo Iride, has deployed Red Hat
| Enterprise Linux as the standard operating system in its IT infrastructure
| with each of the company's 35 enterprise servers running Red Hat Enterprise
| Linux.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/071023/20071023005042.html?.v=1

Red Hat sees FY07 greater China sales up 100 pct

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat Inc., a distributor of open-source Linux software, expects its
| sales in the greater China region to double in fiscal 2007 and grow by
| 85 percent in fiscal 2008, an executive said on Tuesday. "Our plan is to
| have 100 percent growth this year, and 85 percent growth next year,"
| Michael Chen, general manager of Red Hat China, told Reuters in an
| interview.
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20060926:MTFH04213_2006-09-26_06-26-12_SHA306441&type=comktNews&rpc=44
http://tinyurl.com/rdrsg

Red Hat profit rises on 42 percent revenue hike

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat distributes open source Linux software and charges
| companies a subscription to provide updates and other technical support.
`----

http://open.itworld.com/5033/070627red/page_1.html

Red Hat Sees Green

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux operating system that Red Hat's business is built around is
| free to share and distribute. But while it's easy to become an
| open-source distributor, it's more difficult to become expert
| enough with the stuff to make a living supporting it. Take Red
| Hat rival Novell. The Waltham, Mass.-based software company has
| struggled since moving into the open-source software business
| and positioning itself as an alternative to Red Hat, with its
| shares falling more than 35%, to $7.18 from $11.38, over the
| past three years.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2007/03/29/redhat-linux-earnings-markets-equity-cx_bc_0329markets22.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/39h7dj

Red Hat sales rocket

,----[ Quote ]
| The growth was driven by a 90 per cent rise in sales of Enterprise Linux
| through the reseller channel and the development of an integrated Linux |
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/computing/analysis/2165661/red-hat-sales-rocket