[News] Sun's Open Source Moves Discussed and Cisco Makes Own Open Source Moves

  • Subject: [News] Sun's Open Source Moves Discussed and Cisco Makes Own Open Source Moves
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 21:33:24 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Sun's open source strategy questioned

,----[ Quote ]
| The company has been offering up to open source crown jewels such as its Java
| platform and the Solaris OS. Singer, who was vice president of Global
| Information Systems Strategy at Sun, stressed that he agreed with a lot of
| the open source efforts, such as open-sourcing Solaris and Java. But he said
| he thought the company was over-emphasizing open source when it should have
| been focusing on generating revenues; he disagreed with new CEO Jonathan
| Schwartz about the effort and this was one reason Singer left the company in
| March after having been at Sun since 2003.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20071107/tc_infoworld/93228

Cisco is hiring for multiple Open Source positions

,----[ Quote ]
| And it is hiring Open Source enthusiasts to fill its technical positions.
| Read on to know whether you fit the job profile.
`----

http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2007/11/cisco-is-hiring-for-multiple-open.html

Related:

Cisco offers up safe mapping tool as open source

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the first we've come across an open source tool from Cisco. What are
| the others it has offered?
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/18481

Chambers: We're Not Plumbers Anymore

| by internetnews.com Chambers responded, "I think that open source or
| open content is the future. You want to be able to create your own
| content and we want to do that empowerment."
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3684241#49977821313266324796

Cisco reseller insults open source

,----[ Quote ]
| I believe that open source is something to be proud of and not the liability
| that you claim it to be. Cisco claims to have developed their own operating
| system, but I doubt that they started from scratch. What they probably did is
| base it on BSD-licensed code, since there is no requirement to redistribute
| their modifications. This is yet another reason to support the GPL over BSD
| type licenses.
`----

http://useopensource.blogspot.com/2007/09/cisco-reseller-insults-open-source.html

Cisco Unwires Linux Symposium

,----[ Quote ]
| "Cisco embraces the Linux community and appreciates the opportunity to
| work directly with them at this event."
|
| "With a major event like the Linux Symposium we have to get hundreds of
| laptops networked in a relatively small area," said Andrew Hutton,
| founder of the Linux Symposium.
`----

http://www.redorbit.com/news/technology/982333/cisco_unwires_linux_symposium/index.html?source=r_technology#551307969947958244

Open source router on par with Cisco, users say

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1218088,00.html