[News] [Rival] Microsoft Spends Millions of Dollars Rewriting American Law in Own Favour

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Spends Millions of Dollars Rewriting American Law in Own Favour
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 09:18:34 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft Spent $4.8M Lobbying

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. spent $4.8 million to lobby the federal government in the
| first half of the year on visas for high-tech workers, software piracy and
| numerous other issues.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071105/microsoft_lobbying.html?.v=1

Related:

Microsoft trying to derail Google/DoubleClick deal by lobbying congress

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has hired lobbying firm Patton Boggs LLC to do work on "competitive
| issues surrounding Google/DoubleClick [sic] merger."
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070816-microsoft-spends-40000-to-lobby-congress-about-googledoubleclick-merger.html

Gates blackmailed Danish government

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft boss Bill Gates threatened to kill 800 Danish jobs if
| Denmark opposed the European Computer Implemented Inventions
| Directive, reports today's Danish financial daily Børsen,
| quoted by NoSoftwarePatents.com.
`----

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/articles/auto/02162005a.php

Conflict of interests of political party president in softwarepatents issue
in the EU

,----[ Quote ]
| It now appears that Lehne works as a Brussels lobbying consultant
| for multinational corporations who are the main clients of one of
| the leading lawfirms for patent litigation in Europe, which is
| also itself involved in patent lobbying and closely connected
| to lobbying organisations.

How Microsoft distorted the facts in the Vienna conclusions

,----[ Quote ]
| Lately, many signs exist showing how Microsoft's monopoly power
| extends to government and media. We can add a new example to this
| list: The "Vienna conclusions". It seems, their power even
| extends to distorting findings in official UN documents. The
| story contains all usual elements: Sponsorship, not willing
| to participate in public discussions, a conflict of interest
| of one of the members of the committee, and a Microsoft PR
| worker making a ridiculous statement. After that, of course,
| Microsoft denied most of it and ignored the rest.

Study: open source needs official support; Lobbyist
disagrees with "flawed" conclusions

,----[ Quote ]
| The study, commissioned by the European Commission, Directorate
| General Enterprise and Industry, is but a small part of the larger
| FLOSSPOLS project that aims to keep the EU a leader in global
| development of open source software.
|
| [...]
|
| Now, the ISC is widely regarded as a shill for Microsoft, although
| the member list also includes companies like Intel, Autodesk, and
| RSA Security (now an EMC subsidiary). The 300-strong member list is
| mostly padded with lesser lights such as Yapi ve Kredi Bankasi(
| Turkey), ThreeSixtyDegreez (Pakistan), and Datoprogrammu Apgads
| (Latvia). The institute pushes hard for the right to patent
| software, alongside regular bashings of open source businesses.

Changing the Report, After the Vote

,----[ Quote ]
| That agreement was nearly imperiled last weekend, though. Gerri
| Elliott, corporate vice president at Microsoft's Worldwide Public
| Sector division, sent an e-mail message to fellow commissioners
| Friday evening saying that she "vigorously" objected to a paragraph
| in which the panel embraced and encouraged the development of open
| source software and open content projects in higher education.
`----

http://insidehighered.com/news/2006/09/01/commission

Politics and tech companies: follow the money

Changing the Report, After the Vote

http://insidehighered.com/news/2006/09/01/commission

Microsoft's 'Men in Black' kill Florida open standards legislation

| It was just a bit of text advocating open data formats that was slipped into
| a Florida State Senate bill at the last minute with no fanfare, but within
| 24 hours three Microsoft-paid lobbyists, all wearing black suits, were
| pressuring members of the Senate Committee on Governmental Operations
| (COGO) to remove the words they didn't like from Senate bill 1974.
`----

http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/04/16/2019244&from=rss

Politicians in Microsoft's Pocket

,----[ Quote ]