Re: [News] Microsoft/Novell Clone-ware the Wrong Route

Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:
Verily I say unto thee, that Jeffrey Stedfast spake thusly:

Interestingly enough, Matt Asay has retracted his article saying he was wrong.

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9809851-16.html

That is not a "retraction", it's a *clarification* that much of the
article was his /opinion/ rather than a report.

No, it was a retraction.

re·tract  (r-trkt)
v. re·tract·ed, re·tract·ing, re·tracts
v.tr.
1. To take back; disavow: refused to retract the statement.
2. To draw back or in: a plane retracting its landing gear. See Synonyms at recede1.

v.intr.
1. To take something back or disavow it.
2. To draw back.

	I'm writing this not because anyone asked me to (Neither CNET
	nor Novell suggested a retraction). [...] I just didn't have a
	good way to take it back. (CNET doesn't allow deletion of posts.
	The tool simply doesn't support this feature.)

Using Matt Asay's own words, it is a retraction of his earlier post.

Specifically he regrets
that he "crossed the line between corporate and personal", and states
emphatically that it is *not* "because anyone asked [him] to (Neither
CNET nor Novell suggested a retraction)".

This much we agree on.

IOW his /opinion/ has *not* changed, he merely regrets /voicing/ that
opinion publicly on CNet.

And why do you suppose that is? ;-)

Probably because he realized that his opinion was misinformed.

[slew of personal insults snipped]

Oh BTW, I just had the rather unpleasant surprise of discovering that
apparently Yelp is now dependant on libbeagle, you know - as in Beagle,
as in "Mono". But I'm sure it's nothing to worry about, after all - the
core of Gnome will /never/ be dependant on Mono. Right Jeff?

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2007-June/msg00428.html

I'm not sure what this has to do with me, but a quick google of the problem reveals that someone not affiliated with myself nor Novell added the libbeagle dependency to Yelp.

You would have realized this, too, had you spent 30 seconds doing a little fact-checking. Apparently, however, this is not one of your fortes - you seem to find knee-jerk reactions and mud slinging more to taste.

[another slew of personal insults snipped]

I'll tell you what, when you are able and willing to have a mature and intelligent discussion, you may reach me at fejj [at] novell.com

For what it's worth, this is exactly the kind of diatribe that destroys the reputation of the Linux/FOSS community - I hope you are proud of yourself.

I bid thee well,

Jeff