[News] Google Fights to Conquer 3 Billion Small PCs with GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Google Fights to Conquer 3 Billion Small PCs with GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 13:11:51 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The Man Behind the Google Phone

,----[ Quote ]
| “The thing that gets me going is touching a large number of people — if
| there’s 3.1 billion phones out there, it’s a great way to touch people,” he
| says. “I want to find something that delights people so they use it, and they
| use it for the merits of it being it.”
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/04/technology/04google.html?_r=2&ei=5088&en=f05a55321435d1e9&ex=1351828800&oref=slogin&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin

More details coming tomorrow.

(Smart)Phones become more like PCs and it shows:

PCs being pushed aside in Japan

,----[ Quote ]
| The PC's role in Japanese homes is diminishing, as its once-awesome monopoly
| on processing power is encroached by gadgets such as smart phones that act
| like pocket-size computers, advanced Internet-connected game consoles,
| digital video recorders with terabytes of memory.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071104/ap_on_hi_te/bye_bye_pcs

Quick! Tell Ballmer that Windows is too 'fat' (like father, like son) to
survive in tomorrow's PCs generation.

Related:

Five Facts About Google Phone

,----[ Quote ]
| Initially there was one prototype, but over past few months Google has the
| mobile OS running on 3-to-5 devices, most of them likely made by HTC, a
| mobile phone maker, and all have Qwerty apps. The model that folks have seen
| is very similar to the T-Mobile Dash. Around 3GSM, there were rumors that
| Google, Orange and HTC were working together on mobile devices.
`----

http://gigaom.com/2007/09/03/google-phone-facts/

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
| didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
| the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
| numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
| handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said.

Forget iPhone, the Gphone is here

,----[ Quote ]
| Google, the nearly $13.5 billion search engine major, is believed to be a
| fortnight away from the worldwide launch of its much-awaited Google Phone
| (Gphone) and has started talks with service providers in India for an
| exclusive launch on one of their networks.
`----

http://www.rediff.com/money/2007/aug/24gphone.htm

Google spending hundreds of millions on mobile

,----[ Quote ]
| Anian, a Reuters company that tracks industry trends for institutional
| investors, reported last month that Google had engaged Taiwan's High Tech
| Computer Corpto design a Linux
| software-based phone for launch in the first quarter of 2008.
`----

http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/articleinvesting.aspx?type=media&storyID=nN02242073

Closed iPhone opens road for Linux phones

,----[ Summary ]
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/yager/archives/2007/08/apple_gives_lin.html?source=rss