[News] Moving from Windows Vista to Linux is an Improvement

  • Subject: [News] Moving from Windows Vista to Linux is an Improvement
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 06:58:01 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Out the windows...

,----[ Quote ]
| ... in with the doors. Or put in another way why and how I ditched Windows
| (Vista) for Linux. Vista the worst operating system from MS ever. It eats
| resources like candies. Come on, on new double core systems it drags and
| drags for a bit of shiny graphics...
`----

http://1ntrep1d.blogspot.com/2007/11/out-windows.html

Interesting Linux wallpaper (a popular one too):

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2198/1764885977_aa6a21e6cb.jpg (connecting the
stars leads to a hidden message)

Related:

Goodbye Vista, Hello Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| After talking about it for awhile, last night I disconnected my
| drive with Vista installed on it and reconnected a 30GB Maxtor
| drive which I then installed Ubuntu Linux on from the live CD.
|
| First thing I noticed?  The install was done in about 20 minutes
| after answering the standard questions that you would expect
| during an install (time zone, keyboard layout, etc.)
`----

http://www.rodtempleton.net/2007/06/15/goodbye-vista-hello-ubuntu/

Vista Security Claims Not All They Appear

,----[ Quote ]
| With the continuing trend of the same vulnerabilities being found on Vista
| as on other systems, some are seeing it as a reason NOT to upgrade to Vista
| (or at least not until SP1). Consumers and businesses are continuing to
| push for the ongoing sale of Windows XP, and there are concerns from
| some quarters that Microsoft may have painted itself into a corner
| with Vista.
`----

http://www.beskerming.com/commentary/2007/06/29/190/Vista_Security_Claims_Not_All_They_Appear

Microsoft plans six critical patches

| At least one of the critical vulnerabilities involves Internet Explorer 7 and
| Windows Vista, both of which were conceived under new and highly vaunted
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| development rigors designed to produce more secure products.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/09/microsoft_august_patch_tuesday/

Broken Windows and the Ghost of Keynes

,----[ Quote ]
| In the history of economic thought, this is Multiplier Effect, the belief
| that an increase in spending leads itself to more spending and even more
| spending, in a feedback loop that in the end amounts grows the entire
| economy. This bootstrap theory was popularized by John Maynard Keynes and
| became influential in some circles as a way to reduce underutilization in the
| economy. In other words, if unemployment is high and industrial capacity is
| underused, then it is worth while to have the government make work for people
| or spend money. Work, any work, will get the money flowing again. This lead
| to the various "alphabet agencies" of F.D.R.'s New Deal program.
|
| [...]
|
| In the end is $70 billion of new value really being produced? Or are we
| merely fixing broken Windows?
`----

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2007/01/broken-windows-and-ghost-of-keynes.html

Vista Capable of Misleading Customers

,----[ Quote ]
| Have you ever looked at Vista Home Basic? Calling it a dog is an insult to
| all hard-working canines. It can't run Vista's eye candy, the Aero Glass
| interface. It doesn't have DVD video authoring or Media Center support.
| Compared to Windows XP Home SP2, I'd call it a downgrade.

Houston, we have gotten rid of Vista!

,----[ Quote ]
| OK. So I installed Vista on my sweet LG S1 laptop (OK, it's not mine... but I
| like to think it is).
| This list of problems forced me to go back to XP!
`----

http://from-soup-to-nuts.blogspot.com/2007/08/houston-we-have-gotten-rid-of-vista.html

Vista Flops, Users "Upgrading" to XP

,----[ Quote ]
| There’s no demanding reason to buy Vista especially considering the
| complaints. Therefore those of you with Vista, stop the frustration and
| upgrade to XP in order to enjoy your PC again!
`----

http://www.marvquin.com/blog/vista-flops-users-upgrading-xp

An Open Letter to Microsoft: Re-Release Windows XP

,----[ Quote ]
| It's time to sober up on Windows Vista. This just isn't working out,
| and your users are getting frustrated to the point where they're souring
| on Windows altogether. In case you haven't seen some of the more
| noteworthy blog posts on this topic, I refer you to Chris Pirillo,
| Scot's Newsletter, or Spend Matters. Or check out the recent bug
| reports regarding product activation and security flaws. This is all
| stuff I managed to dredge up that was written yesterday.
|
| People are unhappy with Vista. Really unhappy. And though I know Microsoft
| has its own form of Steve Jobs' reality distortion field, it certainly
| can't keep you from seeing at least some of the sobering sales figures and
| the crush of disappointing reviews of Vista. I don't want to dredge up all
| the reasons people are unhappy with Vista in this letter. I want to talk
| about what you ought to do stop a mass migration to Linux and the Mac.
|                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
`----

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/18428/an-open-letter-to-microsoft-re-release-windows-xp

Retail Windows' Dim Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| I thought I had seen the worst of the new PC-buying situation. I was wrong.
|
| On Saturday, we visited friends in Fredericksburg, Va., where I had chance to
| see, not one, but two miserable Windows Vista PC buying situations. Retailers
| share the blame with manufacturers and Microsoft, which should never have
| unleashed Windows Vista Home Basic (aka Windows Basic) on unsuspecting
| consumers.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/vista/retail_windows_dim_vista.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Dell casts doubts on Vista