[News] Microsoft Shill (IDC) Uses Biased Statistics to Spread Linux FUD

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft Shill (IDC) Uses Biased Statistics to Spread Linux FUD
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 00:16:50 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Get the facts about sagging Linux server sales

,----[ Quote ]
| The bottom line is that Linux continues to thrive, and Microsoft -- well,
| Microsoft continues to do what it does best. Linux improves and grows its
| user base day-in and day-out, and Microsoft dishes out deceptions. Note to
| Galli, Peter Judge, Stan Beer, and all the other pundits echoing the meme
| that Linux is losing: based on the facts -- which show 93% growth for Red Hat
| versus 18% for Microsoft over the past two years -- if any company is getting
| close to hitting the wall, it's not a Linux vendor.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/120731

Reply to IDC FUD, which was probably/possibly funded (without disclosure) by
Microsoft. According to Microsoft Watch, those hired puppets don't have to
reveal their funding sources in America. Someone /does/ pay for
these 'studies' and it's not a free (as in beer) operating system. Watch an
example below (antitrust).

Server OS Numbers at Issue

,----[ Quote ]
| "They do not, they cannot, capture the great majority of Linux servers
| deployed in production," Zymaris said. "Our company is but one data point
| here: Our staff has been involved in over 1,000 Linux deployments in the past
| 15 years, of which only a dozen would appear on the radar of research
| companies like IDC."
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2211422,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594

Related:

,----[ Quotes with annotation ]
| "(Microsoft manager:) I don't like the fact that the report show us losing
| on TCO on webservers. I don't like the fact that the report show us losing
| on availability (windows was down more than linux). And I don't like the
| fact that the reports says nothing new is coming with windows .net server."
|
| [...]
|
| "I don't like it to be public on the doc that we sponsored it because I
| don't think the outcome is as favorable as we had hoped. I just don't like
| competitors using it as ammo against us. It is easier if it
| doesn't mention that we sponsored it."
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
`----

http://www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/9000/PX09695.pdf

Is Linux really losing market share to Windows?

,----[ Quote ]
| Should we be ready, as Kent Brockman might put it, to "welcome our new
| Microsoft overlords," or are the IDC Quarterly Server Tracker figures not
| really reflecting the reality of how servers are used in businesses? I, for
| one, think that what IDC is measuring and what server operating systems
| people are really using are two entirely different things.

NY Times bans Microsoft analysts from Microsoft stories

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/15/nytimes_ms_ban/