Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Scheduler, Audio Broken

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Friday 02 November 2007 16:54 : \____

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Fri, 02 Nov 2007 00:04:58 +0000
> <1252108.fG5DYnlMfv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Thursday 01 November 2007 16:14 : \____
>>
>>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
>>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>>  wrote
>>> on Thu, 01 Nov 2007 14:59:27 +0000

>>> I think there are multiple issues here.  Presumably, one
>>> issue is in fact the progress bar (there's another bug
>>> somewhere that shows more than 43000 days remaining!), but
>>> another might be that the copy service and/or underlying
>>> communications is disrupted or stuck.  The fact that it's
>>> an intermittent also does not help in diagnosis.
>>>
>>> Maybe they should borrow some of the wget code...? :-)
>>
>> There was something to do with curl getting into wget or
>> something in the news the other day. Also, the maintainer
>> of GNU wget is setting up mailing lists or something...
>> I can't recall the details, but wget is a Swiss army knife
>> that I use a lot.
>>

> Very useful, although I don't know all of its capabilities.  However,
> I've used it for:
>
> - simple web fetching -- mostly to see what server a site is running
> - mirroring part of a site for my own use
> - fetching and caching web pages for later presentation in an
>   experimental Web browser

I use wget to drop nightly backups of some blogs (other than doing a mysqldump
as a cron job, which puts the backups as a stack _on the server_). Other
things I've done with wget is a little tool that makes a pseudo-RSS feed out
of any Web page which does not have RSS feeds. It tracks changes and uses diff
with an index. It's on my site under "Utilities".

> That only scratches the surface, really.  Can I do this with IE?
> Maybe some of it with WinInet or WinHTTP, and only if I do some
> C/C++ development.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Disk quota exceeded; sig discontinued"