[News] Companies Move to Free Software, Embrace Open Source (Digest)

  • Subject: [News] Companies Move to Free Software, Embrace Open Source (Digest)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 12:22:15 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Global publisher moves business applications from Oracle to Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Mark Taylor, CEO, Sirius said: "In our experience only 12% of current Oracle
| users are unable to reproduce the functionality they want in PostgreSQL.
| Everyone else will make massive cost savings, improve performance and keep
| the high-end features they rely on."
`----

http://www.sourcewire.com/releases/rel_display.php?relid=34865&hilite=

Environment Canada opens up to open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Environment Canada is using an open source model for its Model of the
| Environment and Temperature of Roads (METRo) forecasting system, in an effort
| to help provide the community of meteorologists and road maintainers with
| accurate forecasting software.
`----

http://www.intergovworld.com/article/f8f440a20a01040800b98117d721d2a0/pg1.htm

A calling plan to change the world