Re: Ubuntu 7.10, First Impressions

____/ thad05@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Friday 02 November 2007 05:33 : \____

>> I think there's a new front end that eliminates the need to touch xorg.conf
>> directly.
>
> Do you have any details on that?  I'd love to give it a spin.

I can't recall the name, but I think I've seen it. Hopefully someone else knows
better. 7.10 was supposed to have obviated this "edit text file" issue for
good. Maybe you stick with your habits (and/or documentation) from previous
versions.

BTW, this one thing that you mention was probably Ubuntu's #1 Achilles Heel
right from the start. I remember helping someone in USENET with Ubuntu 4.10
(first version) a long time ago. He had this problem and so did I. I convinced
him to moved to Linux in one of the general computer NGs under the .uk level
of the tree.

I actually also got a lot of visits to my site (thousands) from people who
sought a solution to this problem (search strings were consistent), indicating
the the issue was very common.

Ubuntu lags behind when it comes to monitor handling. Well behind. But I
thought this had been resolved by now. :-S

Within reason, consider Free software. The best things in life are also free.
 06:00:04 up 2 days, 10:11,  3 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.73, 1.50