[News] Windows to Outsiders: Broken or Just Plain Nonsensical

  • Subject: [News] Windows to Outsiders: Broken or Just Plain Nonsensical
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 00:28:55 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Boiling Water : Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| Take a user who has never used Windows before, and they'll go crazy with how
| bad everything seems to operate. You'll also get a long list of things that
| seem broken or just plain nonsensical.
`----

http://zerias.blogspot.com/2007/10/boiling-water-windows.html

This is true. I've met a few people who never used Windows and they fight it a
nightmare to cope with.  That's why Microsoft tries to get children 'addicted'
to the broken interface.

Related:

Switching from KDE to WinXP

,----[ Quote ]
| You probably do not use your computer in the same way I use mine. That
| is exactly why a rich and configurable feature set is so important --
| everyone will have different situations, different preferences, and
| different ways of using their computers. A feature-rich, configurable
| desktop like KDE allows people to work how they want to work. The MS
| Windows XP desktop is more of a "one size fits all" or "any color as long
| as it is black" desktop. One with limited features. Some people may not
| mind that; I do. Surprisingly, I have yet to find any feature in WinXP
| that made me say "Wow! I wish KDE could do that."
`----

http://www.osugisakae.com/writings/lin2winxp/linux2winxp_1.html

"Is ANY OS Ready for the Desktop?"

,----[ Quote ]
| A perfect OS would include(at a minimum) these points:
|
|    1. Stability: The perfect OS should NEVER crash.
|
|    2. Functionality: The perfect OS should be able to use any and
| all features of any hardware attached to the system. It should
| instantly recognize and install appropriate drivers for said hardware.
|
|    3. Usability: The perfect OS should be able to run any program,
| regardless of code base or age of said program.
|
|    4. Security: the perfect OS should be an airtight vessel in this
| regard. Hackers should find themselves out of work because of this OS.
|
|    5. Configurability: The perfect OS should let the user set it up
| the way he/she wants.
`----

http://www.overclockers.com/articles1368/

Windows rapidly approaching desktop usability

,----[ Quote ]
| Don't Lose This Product Key!
|
| Video blanking hassles
|
| Windows XP networking: Not for amateurs
|
| Shocked by additional software costs
|
| Where Windows XP shines
|
| Hope for the future
`----

http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/05/18/2033216

Windows Vista Ready?

,----[ Quote ]
| The majority of new members and guests are here because they want to install
| Windows XP on systems which came with Vista pre-installed. Others are dual
| booting with XP and Vista because they do not want to, or are unable to
| solely depend on Vista to do what they need their systems for.
`----

http://www.pro-networks.org/blog/index.php/vista/14

Linux ready for the desktop

,----[ Quote ]