[News] Novell Slammed by MuleSource CEO for Sidling with Monopoly Abuser

  • Subject: [News] Novell Slammed by MuleSource CEO for Sidling with Monopoly Abuser
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 00:17:28 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Why Novell is like Napster-era Metallica

,----[ Quote ]
| Drawing a parallel to Novell, the company went from being a player in the
| Linux market, to an open source pariah as the focus changed from the software
| to their pact with Microsoft. Add to that the fact that Novell handled the
| situation rather poorly (with more obnoxious details filtering out all the
| time) and you find a company that lost its way. The big question if Novell
| can turn the ship all the way.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13846_1-9801428-62.html

Related:

Novell uses Microsoft FUD to market itself

,----[ Quote ]
| That these claims also could be taken to mean that Novell is developing a
| non-standard Linux, one that is skewed only towards working with Windows,
| appears to have escaped Novell.
|
| In other words, Novell has an "in" with Microsoft which Red Hat does not;
| Utah and Redmond are in bed together and Red Hat is an intruder.

Selling your soul is clearly worth the money (Novell)

,----[ Quote ]
| I am not even interested enough to finish this post. The whole thing is just
| so lame.
|
| We've already covered this plenty of times for those of you who think I am
| picking on Novell.
|
| Previous:
| The other 20% on Novell or, When interop isn't
| Picking apart Novell's Linux numbers (Larry Dignan/ZDNet)
| Novell - Microsoft Agreements Revealed
| Reading between the lines with Bill Hilf: Microsoft must really be hurting
| Ignorance (of open source), thy name is Microsoft
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/09/selling_your_so.html

Perens blasts Microsoft/Novell "protection racket"

,----[ Quote ]
| Salt Lake City -- In a small conference room across the street from
| the location of Novell's BrainShare conference, free-software
| advocate Bruce Perens attacked Novell's patent deal with Microsoft
| and said that Novell was enabling Microsoft to run "a protection
| racket" with the threat of its patents.
|
| [...]
|
| More than that, though, Perens said, if the Novell-Microsoft patent deal is
| allowed to stand. It would take only as few as "two or three intellectual
| property law-suits" of open-source developers or small business at a cost
| of at least $5 million dollars a pop, to destroy open-source development.
| So, from where he sits, Novell is running a "protection racket" with "Big
| Mikey" as the enforcer

The Novell-Microsoft Wheeler Dealers Speak

,----[ Quote ]
| But the main takeaway, as they might put it, for me
| is that this is an anti-Red Hat deal, and Novell is thrilled about that.
| Justin Steinman reveals that to market their SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
| against Red Hat they ask, "Do you want the Linux that works with Windows? Or
| the one that doesn't?" It's just appalling. Let me ask you developers who are
| kernel guys a question: When you contributed code to the kernel, was it your
| intent that it be used against Red Hat? How about the rest of you developers?
| Is that all right with you, that your code is being marketed by Novell like
| that? I also have questions about antitrust issues, with Microsoft being
| Novell's partner in such deals and sales pitches. Nothing speaks louder about
| Microsoft's true determination never to be actually interoperable than this
| conference.

How much is Microsoft's patent protection worth?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9788106-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad