Re: [News] [Rival] The Microsoft Police Accuses the Scottish 'Pirates'

____/ [H]omer on Thursday 01 November 2007 20:12 : \____

>> Glasgow is UK's runner-up in software piracy stakes
>
> Well first off, I'm not a Weegie, I'm an Aberdonian.

Yes, I know, but I was exaggerating (extrapolating/generalising) in that
respect.

> Secondly, Glasgow /is/ a den of thieves, as are most cities these days.
>
> Thirdly, this "initiative" seems to be targeted at businesses, which IMO
> is entirely the wrong target, since the vast, *vast* majority of
> so-called pirate software out there is spread and used by /home/ desktop
> users.
>
> In this context, when the BSA uses the word "pirate", what they /really/
> mean is company "x" bought 1000 licenses for Windows XP, but have
> actually deployed 1001 installations of it.

Exactly.

> Big whoop.
>
> IOW this is an auditing initiative, not at all what I would call a
> "piracy crack-down". Or in yet other words, it's a "blood drive" (as in
> "squeeze every drop of...").

Crackdown. Pirates. Mind the word they use to create fear. It's the rule of
terror.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows: slippery when dry. You have been warned.
 00:05:01 up 2 days,  4:16,  3 users,  load average: 0.75, 1.26, 1.67