Re: Apple Mail in Leopard with the same old error

____/ High Plains Thumper on Tuesday 20 November 2007 21:44 : \____

> [H]omer wrote:
>> Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
>>
>>> What type of person would send a program to someone by
>>> E-mail anyway?
>>
>> Unless it's by prior arrangement and consent, all Email sent
>> to me that contains anything other than text is automatically
>> junked at the server.
>>
>> I got sick and tired of empty Emails with winmail.dat crap
>> attachments, chain mail "jokes" - many of which contained huge
>> videos that bogged down the server and my bandwidth, dodgy
>> Word and Powerpoint attachments; company "newsletters" in HTML
>> format - that were basically un-viewable without Javascript,
>> Java, Flash, or in some cases even ActiveX; and spam
>> masquerading as gif files, advertising \/i@gr@ or pump-n-dump
>> stocks.
>>
>> It's amazing how little spam gets through once you confine
>> what your server forwards to just text. Of course greylisting
>> takes care of the rest. All hail greylisting.
>
> You are not the only one to ban html E-mail:
>
> http://www.fcw.com/online/news/97178-1.html
>
> [quote]
> DOD bars use of HTML e-mail, Outlook Web Access
> By Bob Brewin
> Published on December 22, 2006
>
> Due to an increased network threat condition, the Defense
> Department is blocking all HTML-based e-mail messages and has
> banned the use of Outlook Web Access e-mail applications,
> according to a spokesman for the Joint Task Force for Global
> Network Operations.
> [/quote]

Greylisting is the key. Keeping multiple boxes is a good way to handle this
(other than filtering).

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: the buttocks is the largest muscle
 23:20:02 up 21 days,  3:18,  4 users,  load average: 1.93, 1.32, 1.48