[News] [OT] Copyrights in America Totally Out of Control

  • Subject: [News] [OT] Copyrights in America Totally Out of Control
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 11:32:38 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Overly-broad copyright law has made USA a "nation of infringers"

,----[ Quote ]
| Tehranian's paper points out just how pervasive copyright has become in our
| lives. Simply checking one's e-mail and including the full text in response
| could be a violation of copyright.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071119-overly-broad-copyright-law-has-made-us-a-nation-of-infringers.html

Anti-Piracy Outfit Pirates TorrentFreak

,----[ Quote ]
| The infamous Dutch anti-piracy organization BREIN has infringed
| TorrentFreak’s copyright and blatantly copied a quote from one of our
| articles without attributing the source. TorrentFreak is thus considering
| legal action against these copy/paste pirates, where they may face a fine of
| up to $975,000 and several years in prison.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/brein-pirates-torrentfreak-071119/

Related:

Mom Sues Universal Music for DMCA Abuse

,----[ Quote ]
| The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) filed suit today against Universal
| Music Publishing Group (UMPG), asking a federal court to protect the fair use
| and free speech rights of a mother who posted a short video of her toddler
| son dancing to a Prince song on the Internet.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/general/10869/mom-sues-universal-music-dmca-abuse

The RIAA will come to regret its court win

,----[ Quote ]
| And, he told his blog readers: "If [the industry tries to] keep up the
| strategy of 'you need us badly and therefore we make the rules' you will lose
| the artists, their managers... and the audience. Another 12 months for this
| Radiohead experiment to become the default approach. Get engaged or get
| outmoded. And do it soon."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/08/0810_riaa_comment/

Does open source (and free) software reduce your pirating? 61% say yes

,----[ Quote ]
| Over 12 months go I asked my readers whether open source software reduces
| your pirating and the result was very half-and-half. Well, this year I've
| asked the same question again and the results have shifted.
`----

http://www.seopher.com/articles/does_open_source_and_free_software_reduce_your_pirating_61_say_yes

Microsoft Happy with the Evolution of Windows Vista Piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| But the truth is that Microsoft is happy with the way Windows Vista
| piracy is evolving. Is there a catch to this? No. The fact of the
| matter is that Windows Vista has delivered a heavy blow to
| software counterfeiters. The reason for this is the new Windows
| Genuine Advantage security mechanism integrated into the
| operating system.
|
| You may not notice this on the surface. On the surface, the
| Internet is crawling with Windows Vista cracks, hacks and
| workarounds. On the surface, every Windows Vista edition has
| been cracked and is available for download via peer-to-peer
| networks. But this is not the true extent of Windows Vista piracy.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Happy-with-the-Evolution-of-Windows-Vista-Piracy-50577.shtml

Governments Must Reject Gates' $3 Bid to Addict Next Billion PC Users

,----[ Quote ]
| "Microsoft's strategy of getting developing nations hooked on its
| software was clearly outlined by Bill Gates almost a decade ago," said
| Con Zymaris, CEO of long-standing open source firm Cybersource.
|
| Specifically, Bill Gates, citing China as an example, said:
|
|   "Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but
|   people don't pay for the software," he said. "Someday they will, though.
|   As long as they are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours.
|   They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to
|   collect sometime in the next decade."[1]
`----

http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/gates_set_to_addict_next_billion.html

Why the illegal market determines the success of your software

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista however was marketed as being harder, better, faster, stronger
| and more importantly - nigh uncrackable. Which proved a problem
| because it made uptake noticably slower than that for XP. However,
| things might have changed now because some awfully clever people
| managed to crack Vista (apparently). This might have caused a
| shift in demographics because users are now potentially able to
| sample the "delights" of Vista without paying massively
| inflated prices.
`----

http://www.seopher.com/articles/why_the_illegal_market_determines_the_success_of_your_software

Chinese attitude on buying Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| I've mentioned above,the price of Vista is higher than RMB2000 (about
| USD257) may not shake users in developed countries, but do you know it
| is equal to the average monthly salary in China's economic center
| Shanghai!So please take this fact into consideration before
| criticize our behavior of buying pirate softwares.
|
| recent survey of public opinion from China's portal NetEase shows that 81%
| of netizens think Microsoft is forcing them to use pirate Vista...
`----

http://ya.iyee.cn/2007/02/chinese-attitude-on-buying-vista.html

Why Piracy Hurts Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| "...John looks at this from a different direction. He shows you why
| software piracy hurts Open Source software--the free stuff you are using."
`----

http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000266

Microsoft seals its Windows and opens the door to Linux

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,1956941,00.html