[News] IBM's Virtualisation Strategy (with Linux) Challenges Rivals, US Military Adopts Virtualisation

  • Subject: [News] IBM's Virtualisation Strategy (with Linux) Challenges Rivals, US Military Adopts Virtualisation
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 00:08:05 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
IBM takes on HP with I/O virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM has developed an I/O virtualization tool that makes it easier to move
| workloads from one blade server to another by automating the process of
| assigning I/O addresses.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=673601953&rid=-50

IBM's latest virtualisation offer involves a lot of UNIX and Linux.

Marines Find Value in Virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| A major goal of the virtualization strategy is increasing system availability
| and operational continuity, Brodhun said.

IBM Ships 10,000th Storage Virtualization Engine

,----[ Quote ]
| SVC 4.2.1 support will be provided for new operating environments with VMware
| ESX Server: Red Hat and SUSE Linux, and Novell Netware.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/071116/0329757.html

IBM Virtualization Powers Oracle Rollout at Amway Corporation

,----[ Quote ]
| The servers use AIX, IBM's UNIX-based operating system, and also support
| thousands of Linux-based applications. Migration services enable customers to
| quickly and easily convert from competing platforms -- such as Sun
| Microsystems and Hewlett-Packard -- to IBM hardware.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/071116/0329810.html

Hypervisor battle glowing red hot

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week's moves, observers say, expose a strategy against VMware to
| commoditize hypervisor technology and then win the hearts of corporate users
| by providing choices for management and other tools to administer what
| experts say is a coming explosion in virtualization on corporate networks.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;1277174420;fp;2;fpid;1

Related:

IBM Launches First Open Beta Program for Industry-Leading UNIX Operating System

,----[ Quote ]
| And lastly, using IBM Advanced POWER Virtualization (APV), customers
| can run Linux applications natively in one or more logical partitions
| running SUSE Linux Enterprise or Red Hat Enterprise Linux integrated
| with AIX applications on the same physical System p server.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/marketwire/0276937.htm

IBM Previews Virtualization Management Tool for Power-Based Boxes

,----[ Quote ]
| ...Virtual Availability Manager, within the Systems Director
| Virtualization Manager tool will allow customers who deploy a Xen
| hypervisor on their Linux-on-X64 servers to create what IBM is
| calling a "high availability farm" that can be used to rehost
| virtual machine partitions that are taken out by crashes.
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh062507-story07.html

Storix Integrates Full-system Recovery with IBM Tivoli® Storage Manager

,----[ Quote ]
| San Diego based, Storix, Inc. launched today the first solution to offer
| flexible bare-metal recovery and centralized system backup management for TSM
| on Linux and AIX clients (nodes) and servers.
`----

http://www.prleap.com/pr/94434/

Looking for Huge Performance Gains? Virtualize With Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5

,----[ Quote ]
| Not many people think of virtualization as a way to make applications run
| faster. In fact, the general assumption is that things are likely to be a
| little slower, hopefully not too much, but that the other advantages easily
| outweight the performance drop.
`----

http://www.pressebox.de/pressemeldungen/red-hat-gmbh/boxid-127689.html

IBM Focusing on i5 Account Sales, Not i5 Sales

,----[ Quote ]
| Shearer said that over 1,300 OS/400 applications have been
| modernized (meaning ported to i5/OS and given new Web front
| ends) and over 2,000 applications have moved over from AIX
| and Linux on X86 as part of an application modernization
| initiative that he started more than two years ago.
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh050707-story01.html

IBM Extends Open Source Virtualization Solutions

,----[ Quote ]
| Building upon the company's commitment to providing clients open
| solutions based on Linux and virtualization technologies, IBM
| announced its extensive portfolio of middleware and systems
| platforms will support Novell's new SUSE Linux Enterprise 10
| offerings. The new SUSE Linux Enterprise offerings incorporate
| the open source Xen virtualization software to help businesses
| increase server utilization and lower management costs.
`----

http://websphere.sys-con.com/read/248386_p.htm

IBM Adds POWER Virtualization to SOA Strategy

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM's Advanced POWER Virtualization technology for an SOA allows a
| single server to be divided into multiple partitions which can
| each run different operating systems such as UNIX and Linux
| and multiple applications.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/070315/0226764.html

Virtualization and the POWER5 Architecture

,----[ Quote ]
| Unlike the other RISC-based hardware vendors (Sun and HP), IBM has
| fully implemented most of the features of its most powerful architecture
| into its Linux support. This is largely due to the recent developments
| of the Linux 2.6 kernel, which has brought Linux into the forefront. IBM
| added its own code to the SUSE and Red Hat kernels to provide support to
| the POWER5.
`----

http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2006/11/22/power5-virtualization.html?CMP=OTC-0O724Z062301&ATT=Virtualization+and+the+POWER5+Architecture

Phoenix HyperSpace: Quick-Boot Your Laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| Phoenix Technologies' new HyperSpace is an instant-on environment for
| laptops, letting users launch a browser or other apps with booting into the
| OS.
|
| Today, Phoenix Technologies introduced a firmware product called HyperSpace,
| which allows PCs to run a number of applications separate from the operating
| system. What that means is that if you use a PC equipped with HyperSpace, you
| will be able to quick-boot your notebook into a secure Linux environment,
| where you can use Web browsers like FireFox and pre-loaded Web-aware apps
| like Google Earth, Picasa, and the like.
|
| [...]
|
| Also, since HyperSpace is a Linux-based platform, Windows viruses won't
| affect it.

Dell Creating Consumer PCs Complete with Virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| And in a similar fashion to what Parallels and VMware Fusion did for the
| Intel-based Mac community, this could give the Linux operating system a boost
| from consumers who want to use the open source software but don't want to
| lose out on what Microsoft's Windows platforms offer.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/virtualization/archives/2007/08/dell_creating_c.html

Dell to stuff hypervisors in flash memory

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell CTO Kevin Kettler today confirmed these plans during a speech here at
| LinuxWorld, saying the company expects to see major performance and
| power-saving improvements by dumping a hypervisor in flash. Customers will
| basically "boot to a virtual machine-ready" state, he said.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/07/dell_hypervisor_flash/

Microsoft nonchalant about Phoenix assault on Windows

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=software&articleId=9045662&taxonomyId=18&intsrc=kc_top
http://tinyurl.com/3depfj