Re: [News] More Linux Advocacy in the Telegraph

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Sun, 18 Nov 2007 00:52:07 +0000
<4003721.EzuemGrQhd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Tuesday 13 November 2007 20:24 : \____
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, HangEveryRepubliKKKan
>> <Justice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Thu, 15 Nov 2007 14:29:09 -0800
>> <EWm_i.13901$xa2.12298@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>>
>>> "SomeBloke" <stuff@xxxxxxxxx> wrote
>>>
>>>   Won't install.
>>>

>> Whereas Windows Vista, by being preinstalled (after many
>> hours of work by a poor IT guy somewhere deep in Dell's
>> product development labs) just works fine.
>>
>> This is why Windows wins.
>
> Ghost,
>
> You are feeding the trolls like a machine. Please refrain from doing this. I
> don't want to filter out your insightful posts.

There are multiple problems with Linux, most of them caused
from a certain software vendor who happens to reside in
Redmond, Washington, exacerbated by the general complacency
of the user base.  Dare I suggest we do something about the
problem rather than play "follow the leader from ahead"?
The Marketing Machine will simply run over us in that case.

I'm not quite sure whether to suggest a similarly sized
Linux Marketing Machine (how we get that is an interesting
question, given Microsoft's over $50 billion/year revenue
stream and wacked-out profit margins), or simply try to
nudge Microsoft off a cliff using an as-yet-undeveloped
highly sophisticated strategy.

(Don't ask me; I'm not a strategist.)

I'll give kudos where they're due -- Dell in particular
seems to be trying to fight their own brand of bureaucratic
inertia and Microsoft contracting and actually offering
the public something reasonable, though I'm not sure how
well at this point their stuff actually works with Ubuntu.
But clearly Windows is not losing because Linux is better;
Windows is losing because Microsoft is shooting itself in
the foot.

I don't mind, really, but Microsoft has a lot of feet
left, apparently.  Whether that's because we give them
the benefit of the doubt generally -- not here in COLA,
of course -- or because, again, of the complacency of
the lay public, who have been happily seduced by the
Mighty Microsoft Marketing Machine for over 20 years,
I don't know.  I'm increasingly bitter about all this
hoohah, and wish we could dislodge Microsoft from
their current lofty position as King Of The Shill.

That Linux et al is better is a big plus, of course --
and one hopes that Microsoft eventually shoots itself in
the head.  But I wouldn't hope on it.

As for Puppy not installing -- good question, but this is
not a troubleshooting group.  Best I can do is suggest
using a vendor which preinstalls Puppy -- and I am not
at all sure there's one out there.  Best I can do is
Eracks, which has about 20 possibilities, but Puppy's
not one of them.

As for trolls...I acknowledge them, when I feel it makes
sense to.  I do not believe that they should be allowed to
run unchecked; they're like small children in that respect.
;-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Warning: This encrypted signature is a dangerous munition.
Please notify the US government immediately upon reception.
0000 0000 0000 0000 0001 0000 0000 0000 ...