Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Makes War, Not Markets

Thufir wrote:
On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 23:10:27 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

German Linux Trade Group to MS: Be Specific About Patents - It's the Law

,----[ Translation ]
| "Ballmer's assertion must be viewed as the typical Microsoft approach
| to alienate the market by spreading rumors or threats", said the |
official representative of the Linux related companies in Germany | in a
statement made in Berlin on November 27th 2006. "This is | obviously
part of a PR campaign related to the market launch of | Windows
Vista....If Microsoft cannot show evidence to support | their claims,
then they are outside the boundaries of German | competition
regulations. We call upon Microsoft to either prove | their case, or to
refrain from making such unfounded statements. | Furthermore, we call
upon European Politicians to protect open | competition in Europe. In
particular, small and mid sized companies, | which form the majority of
European Linux service providers, need to | be protected from tedious
legal disputes resulting from pretended | assertions of Microsoft."
`----

http://www.linux-verband.de/Home-News-Single-Ansicht.305
+M5b33a2bc073.0.html?&tx_ttnews[backPid]=19&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=363

If only the US had similar laws...

I'm not a lawyer, but that kind of claim seems to come awfully close to libel. In such circumstances, there should be the option to issue a challenge. On the flip side, Oprah got in legal hotwater with the beef lobby over god knows what.

-Thufir

Sadly a side effect of most legal systems is that the "Rich" will win simply because even if their case is a load of absolute crap it forces the other side to spend as much on lawyers.

You can't "Fight" something like Microsoft / Texaco / etc you rely on them assessing your ability to fund a legal battle and offering you a deal in a lot of cases.