Re: Roy misrepresents yet another news story

On 2007-11-17, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Just don't respond to Tim. He nitpicks on purpose and uses a sea of information
> that I share on the Web in order to find something that can be criticised.

So you call it nitpicking to point out that your completely
misrepresented the story???

Their code allocated objects, and did not get rid of all references to
them when they were done with them.  That causes a memory leak in pretty
much all garbage collected languages, on Windows, Mac, Linux and
everywhere else.  C#, Java, Ruby, Python, Perl, Lisp...the results would
all be the same.

This was explained early on in the comments on slashdot.  It was also
explained in the link that was in the article itself on slashdot.

You make no effort at all to check out the items you post.  If you see
something that looks bad for MS, you post it, regardless of whether you
have any reason to believe it is true.  And you'll then refer to it
later, posting it in your long lists of links.

One or two mistakes like this would be understandable, but when you make
these kind of mistakes frequently, and don't do anything to stop doing
it, then it becomes lies, and you are simply purposefully spreading FUD.

> Here is his favourite Web page:
>
> http://diggcomments.headzoo.com/Default.aspx?user=schestowitz
>
> He just sits there, admittedly modding down comments systematically
> and 'corrects' me whenever I say something he disagree with. The tool above is
> called "Comment Stalker" and Tim definitely uses it (it was only days ago that
> a friend, msaleem, told me about this).

I only mod down about 60% of your comments--the ones that are off-topic,
or have been spammed to multiple discussions, or are clearly factually
wrong.  Another 30% I leave untouched.  These are the ones where you
actually tried to contribute to the discussion.  The remaining 10% are
ones I mod up.  And for an interesting stretch of a couple days last
week, almost all your comments were modded up by me--it almost seemed as
if you were actually putting thought into your comments instead of just
pulling something out of your big list of pre-made comments that you
usually use.

If I want to see what comments you've posted, I click on the link to
show my profile, click on comments to show my comments, and then change
my name to yours in the address bar, which brings me to a list of your
comments.  I then open each story, read the story and the linked
article, and then read all the comments, applying the same moderation
standard to all of them.

The only way you are treated special is that I select stories that you
have commented on to read.

The tool you linked to above is interesting, but it looks like it lets
you mod a comment easily, without seeing it in context.  That's not
good.  For places like Digg to work, people should always read the story
and then read the comments in context before modding.