[News] Google's Open Source Linux Phones Can Also Widen Carrier Selection

  • Subject: [News] Google's Open Source Linux Phones Can Also Widen Carrier Selection
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 00:27:22 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Google Has Even Bigger Plans for Mobile Phones

,----[ Quote ]
| The company has said it wants to make mobile networks more open, so that
| consumers can use any Internet service and application and move their
| handsets between carriers without onerous restrictions. That's one impetus
| behind the Android software for mobile phones that Google announced Nov. 5,
| alongside a group of industry partners including Taiwan's HTC Corp., a
| handset maker, and Deutsche Telekom AG's T-Mobile, a wireless carrier.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119517445580795065.html?mod=yahoo_hs&ru=yahoo

Related:

IPhone Unlock Delayed After AT&T's 'Friendly Advice'

,----[ Quote ]
| Fear of litigation has led to an indefinite delay in the planned Saturday
| release of software to unlock Apple Inc.'s iPhone.
|
| John McLaughlin, founder of Uniquephones, based in Belfast, Northern Ireland,
| said Saturday that he received a phone call about 3 a.m. Saturday local time
| from a man claiming to be from O'Melveny & Myers LLP, an international law
| firm, calling on behalf of AT&T. The firm has worked with Apple in the past.
|
| The man informed McLaughlin that if he posted the unlock code, he could be
| sued for copyright infringement and for dissemination of Apple's intellectual
| property (IP).
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20070825/tc_pcworld/136410

Customers can sue AT&T, after all

,----[ Quote ]
| A federal court in San Francisco has decided that AT&T's wireless contract
| is "unconscionable".
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/20/court_slames_att_wireless_contract_clause/

iPhone Freed From AT&T, Twice

,----[ Quote ]
| The company will be selling licenses to the hack, minimum quantity 500, at a
| price not yet announced. These hacks are much bigger news for those outside
| America. Expect to see an industry spring up to meet European (and Asian?)
| demand for freed iPhones.
`----

http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/24/1858252&from=rss

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
| didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
| the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
| numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
| handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said.

Forget iPhone, the Gphone is here

,----[ Quote ]
| Google, the nearly $13.5 billion search engine major, is believed to be a
| fortnight away from the worldwide launch of its much-awaited Google Phone
| (Gphone) and has started talks with service providers in India for an
| exclusive launch on one of their networks.
`----

http://www.rediff.com/money/2007/aug/24gphone.htm

Closed iPhone opens road for Linux phones

,----[ Summary ]
| With iPhone a closed platform, Linux gets an wide-open road for phones and
| other smart devices
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/yager/archives/2007/08/apple_gives_lin.html?source=rss

Did Apple Violate Magnuson-Moss over iPhone Unlocks?

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple has today stated that unlocking the iPhone is an official warranty
| violation. Further, they have stated that future iPhone firmware updates may
| damage unlocked iPhones. However, Apple may have violated an important
| federal warranty law in doing so.
`----

http://www.phonenews.com/content/view/2386/9/

Apple to Brick Modded iPhones, Apple Boycott?

,----[ Quote ]
| While community reaction is generally negative, one blogger suggests sending
| an even stronger message to Apple by boycotting Apple on October 1.
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story.php/18681/Apple-to-Brick-Modded-iPhones-Apple-Boycott/

Hackers post techniques for reversing iPhone upgrade

,----[ Quote ]
| Owners of hacked iPhones have begun posting instructions on how to roll back
| a recent Apple firmware upgrade that rendered their mobile phones unusable.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=436486450&rid=-50

Users planning class action suit against Apple over iPhone warranty

,----[ Quote ]
| As expected, the reaction to the iPhone-breaking 1.1.1 firmware has been
| quite strong, with owners of hacked iPhones being particularly teed off.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/10/01/users-planning-class-action-suit-against-apple-over-iphone-warranty

Podcast: Apple's battle against iPhone hackers takes a turn

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week, Apple CEO Steve Jobs was in London and he said the company is in
| a "cat and mouse" game with hackers over the iPhone.
`----

http://www.news.com/Podcast-Apples-battle-against-iPhone-hackers-takes-a-turn/2324-11424_3-6210728.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Apple promises to kill unlocked Iphones

http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2007/09/25/apple-promises-to-kill-unlocked-iphones

Class action over carrier-locked iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple is being sued by another iPhone customer, this time over the inability
| to use the phone with carriers other than AT&T, and high international
| roaming  charges.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14206&Itemid=1054

Why Apple Can't Stop iPhone Hackers