[News] [Rival] Microsoft Uses 0.1 to Generate Hype over a Step Back

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Uses 0.1 to Generate Hype over a Step Back
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 22:05:32 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
[Sarcasm] Why DX10.1 matters to you

,----[ Quote ]
| "Kevin Unangst, Senior Global Director for Microsoft Games for Windows: "
| DX10.1 is an incremental update that won’t affect any games or gamers in the
| near future." He is right, mostly because it won't be out until SP1 hits, so
| no argument there. More importantly, DX10 and onward is tied to the broken
| malware infestation known as Vista, so it is really irrelevant, but there is
| more to it than that.
|
| [...]
|
| In the end, DX10.1 is mostly fluff with an 800-pound gorilla hiding among the
| short cropped grass.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/16/why-dx10-matters

Reviews suggest that gamers are better off with XP and DX9 (see below).

OpenGL still reigns, just like Linux (e.g. in Hollywood where virtually all PCs
run Linux). Performance in Linux (framerate) is better than in Windows, as
well.

These are the facts that Microsoft does not want people to know.

Related:

OpenGL 3 Announced

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenGL Architecture Review Board officially announced OpenGL 3 on August
| 8th 2007 at the Siggraph Birds of a Feather (BOF) in San Diego, CA.
|
| [...]
|
| OpenGL 3 is a true industry effort with broad support from all vendors in the
| ARB. The OpenGL 3 specification is on track to be finalized at the next
| face-to-face meeting of the OpenGL ARB, at the end of August.
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story.php/18446/OpenGL-3-Announced/

OpenGL 3.0: Longs Peak in September

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenGL Architecture Review Board has officially announced OpenGL 3 for the
| next month. This release will be the expected “Longs Peak” release,
| while “Mount Evans” is now scheduled for 4-5 months after “Longs Peak”.
`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/08/10/opengl-30-longs-peak-in-september/

OpenGL 2.x and 3.0 APIs arrive this year

,----[ Quote ]
| Approximately three months after that, Mount Evans (OpenGL 3.0) will
| run specifically on hardware born after November 8th, 2006. You've
| guessed it correctly, we are talking about DirectX 10-class hardware,
| bringing all the features of unified 3D architecture to the world of
| OpenGL. Mount Evans is compatible with Longs Peak, but of course -
| you will require OpenGL 3.0 class hardware to run everything.

OpenGL is far from dead

,----[ Quote ]
| Khronos took over the running of the OpenGL Architecture Review
| Board last Autumn and has managed to get chip-makers like Nvidia
| to open up DX10-esque hardware features in the OpenGL system.
| "The extension mechanism has also allowed manufacturers of high
| end cards to gracefully expose DirectX 10 features on Windows
| XP," Splash said.

Apple’s Leopard with DirectX-like OpenGL? More hints.

,----[ Quote ]
| This means that the main person behind the newest OpenGL - which will support
| all the new graphics technology available today - is employed by Apple.
`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/07/18/apples-leopard-with-directx-like-opengl-more-hints/

DirectX 10 vs OpenGL 2.1 Graphics

,----[ Quote ]
| Now check out OpenGL 2.1 vs. DirectX 10 / 9 graphics.
`----

http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13647

ATI: Linux vs. Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow! We were completely blown away when our final results came in and the
| Linux 8.42.3 driver had outperformed Windows Vista with Catalyst 7.10 in
| Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. It wasn't just a neck-and-neck race but Linux
| was about 10 frames per second faster when running at 1280 x 1024 and 1680 x
| 1050.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=897&num=3

Gears of War PC Performance and IQ

,----[ Quote ]
| DX10 On = No Advantage
|
| We are not sure exactly what turning on DX10 does, but we do know it causes a
| large performance drop on every video card. In our testing we found
| absolutely no image quality differences by turning this to “On.” The only
| benefit was being able to use “On/Antialiasing” for 4X AA, but you need a
| very fast video card to use that setting. If you have a GeForce 8800
| GTX/Ultra level video card you can enjoy that setting. But on the GeForce
| 8800 GT/GTS and Radeon HD 2900 XT you will have to sacrifice other in-game
| options or resolutions in order to use 4X AA. It is rather a shame because we
| noticed that 4X AA does improve the visual quality of this game in a
| noticeable way.
|
| Disappointing In-Game AA Controls
|
| [...]
|
| Overall Summary
|
| Gears of War plays very well with DX10 set to “Off,” and this is the mode you
| will find the best gaming performance with.
|
| [...]
|
| The Bottom Line
|
| We found no image quality differences inherent to enabling DX10 mode, but we
| did find a large performance drop on every video card. Simply put there is no
| reason to run this game in DX10 unless you have a powerful enough video card
| to handle 4X AA with this mode enabled. For the best performance run this
| game with DX10 “Off” and crank up the resolution with maximum in-game
| settings for a very fun, fast paced, action game.
`----

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQxNiwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA

Lord of the Rings Online: DX10 Patch

,----[ Quote ]
| The DX10 codepath offered by the latest update to the Lord of the Rings
| client software gives us no reason to recommend anyone upgrade to Windows
| Vista right now to use it. It offers a couple of real visual quality
| upgrades, but currently with a monstrous performance penalty.
`----

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQxMywxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Adding DX10 has "done nothing"

,----[ Quote ]
| Having tested the DX10 rendering path against the DX9 version, the chaps at
| the fantastically named Elite Bastards say that they can't "Help but feel a
| little disappointed to see yet another game where the inclusion of DirectX 10
| functionality has done nothing for the title either graphically or from
| performance standpoint".

Vista still lacks the gaming performance of XP

,----[ Quote ]
| The computers were tested with the latest ATi drivers with all OS patches and
| updates applied.  The indexing service was turned off, details in the game
| were set to “ultra high” with a resolution of 1024 x 768 (yeah, can’t really
| expect much out of a 2600XT card).
`----

http://www.underdark.cc/2007/09/21/vista-still-lacks-the-gaming-performance-of-xp/

Does WINE + Linux support more Windows apps than Vista?

,----[ Quote ]
| WINE supports most of the applications which are made for Windows
| 2.0 up to Windows XP. WINE has the ability to run different versions
| of IE, run most of Adobe's products, run World of Warcraft, Half Life
| 2, Microsoft Office 2003, XP, 2000 and 97, Visio, Quicken,
|
|     * Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars
|     * Need for Speed Carbon
|
| [...]
|
| What about drivers, hardware support, and upgrades?
|
| Want to upgrade you XP to Vista? no chance. might as well do a fresh
| install and shell out $300.
`----

http://jagtalon.wordpress.com/2007/04/30/does-wine-linux-support-more-apps-than-vista/

XP vs. Vista - A Tale of Framerate

,----[ Quote ]
| Seldom has the rumor mill turned faster than when gamers talk about gaming
| in Vista. Some folks are staying away from the new OS simply because
| they feel it doesn?t game well.
`----

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTMzNCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

A Messy Transition (Part 3): Vista Buys Some Time

,----[ Quote ]
| Under Vista the game is still using an additional 160MB of virtual address
| space compared to XP, but this is far better than the gap being the entire
| size of the video memory on our 8800GTX prior to the hotfix.
`----

http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=3060&p=2

30 Days with Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Comparisons, conjecture, and controversy. Microsoft's new operating
| system is here, but is it ready for primetime? We spend 30 days
| with Windows Vista to see if it's worth the leap or if Microsoft
| should go back to the drawing board.
`----

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTMxOCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Vista Offers Nothing to Gamers

,----[ Quote ]
| This is just a small sampling of games obviously, but for our
| intended experiment, I think they did the trick. We wanted to
| simulate what a normal gamer might go through in order to play
| games on Vista, and the end result was just slightly more hassle
| than you would with XP.
`----

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/03/01/vista_offers_nothing_to_gamers_uk/index.html

Windows Vista and casual games: the woe starts now

,----[ Quote ]
| Casual game company alleges the security of Microsoft's new
| OS goes to far and stifles web-based games.
`----

http://gaming.monstersandcritics.com/pc/news/article_1253720.php/Windows_Vista_and_casual_games_the_woe_starts_now

World of Warcraft - Poor Frame Rates on Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| I have to say that the performance results are pretty disappointing. The
| test machine is a 2.5Ghz Pentium 4, with 2GB of RAM and a 256MB Radeon 9600
| video card. This same machine stayed regularly in the 40fps range with
| Windows XP installed. Now, sitting around in Orgrimmar, it?s struggling to
| stay above 20fps, regularly dipping into the teens. The scary part is that
| even standing idle, my CPU usage is pegged at 100% and 60% of my RAM is
| used.
`----

http://www.philoking.com/2007/01/28/world-of-warcraft-poor-frame-rates-on-windows-vista/
http://tinyurl.com/yqsvwq

Windows Vista Gaming Performance Reports

,----[ Quote ]
| First is the fact that Vista is not going to be an OS for an ultimate
| gaming machine anytime soon. This is something that you should
| consider before you throw a bunch of cash at a new computer and
| then pick up Vista along with it.
`----

http://techgage.com/article/windows_vista_gaming_performance_reports

Linux Goes Hollywood With New Terra Soft Film Rendering Tool

,----[ Quote ]
| Y-Film is a product formed from two separate applications. The first is a
| cluster construction suite supported by Terra Soft's Y-HPC platform. The
| second is the Artist Productivity and Asset Management Tools developed by
| Scott Frankel, president and VFX supervisor at Circle-S Studios and the lead
| developer of Y-Film. The tool set runs on x86 Linux, Power Linux and Mac OS
| X.

Linux in Hollywood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=636VZ_R-NVs

Studios Using Linux