[News] CIO.com Advocates Ubuntu Linux for the Enterprise

  • Subject: [News] CIO.com Advocates Ubuntu Linux for the Enterprise
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 21:55:15 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Top Ten Reasons Why Ubuntu Is Best for Enterprise Use

,----[ Quote ]
| Besides ease of use for end users, Ubuntu is cost-effective and even
| eliminates per-seat license costs entirely, on both the desktop and the
| server.
`----

http://www.cio.com/article/155753

It's a big deal because decision makers read this Web site.

Yesterday:

Making the Case for Linux Distros in the Business

,----[ Quote ]
| Are you considering an enterprise-wide switch from a Microsoft operating
| system to Linux? Or are you using Linux already and want to know how your
| distro stacks up against others?
`----

http://www.cio.com/article/155701/Making_the_Case_for_Linux_Distros_in_the_Business

Windows vs. Linux vs. OS X: CIO John Halamka Tests Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| As part of his ongoing effort to find a secure, stable, user-friendly
| alternative to the Windows desktop operating system, CareGroup CIO John
| Halamka got to know Ubuntu.
|
| [...]
|
| Last summer, CareGroup CIO John Halamka began looking for a viable
| alternative to the Microsoft Windows desktop operating system. After 16 years
| using Windows, he had enough of its instability and the countless updates
| that automatically installed themselves on his computer--often at inopportune
| times, like when he was in the middle of a presentation. As CIO of a

| health-care organization and affiliated medical school with 40,000 employees
| and 9 million patient records, Halamka has to be sure that the computers in
| the hospital, its administrative offices and medical school are secure,
| stable and easy to use...
`----

http://www.cio.com/article/126702Wee

Seven Financial Reasons Not to Use Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| Lately, however, more and more companies are discovering that they have
| alternatives when it comes to choosing an IT infrastructure, and that there
| really are some sound reasons not to go with Windows.
`----

http://www.cio.com/article/126950/Seven_Financial_Reasons_Not_to_Use_Windows

Seven Financial Reasons to Use Linux in the Enterprise

,----[ Quote ]
| Even a discussion on religion and politics might well include mention of
| operating systems when a Linux user is in the room. The enterprise has
| quietly been adopting Linux, first on hidden-away servers but then in the
| open and even on the desktop. Ignoring ideological debates that intervene
| when the subject of Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) enters the picture,
| let's cut to the chase and look at financial reasons for adopting Linux.
| After all, it all boils down to "TCO" (Total Cost of Ownership), doesn't it?
`----

http://www.cio.com/article/127053

Review: Zonbu, the $99 Linux Computer

| There's a lot to like about Zonbu, including its three-year replacement
| warranty. With your configuration information and all your data backed up in
| the Zonbu online storage space, when you plug in, you can restore your
| machine instantly. As an added plus, Zonbu is environmentally friendly; the
| company claims the computer uses a fraction of the electricity of a standard
| PC, which will cut down on your company's electricity costs.
`----

http://www.cio.com/article/120653

Windows vs. Linux vs. OS X: CIO John Halamka Tests SUSE

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s true that switching to Linux would add the requirement of end user
| training, but one may argue that upgrading from Windows XP/Office 2003 to
| Windows Vista/Office 2007 also warrants some significant end user training—
| unless you enjoy hearing the question, “Where did all the file menus in
| Office 2007 go?” over and over. The question I leave for CIOs to ponder is,
| if training is inevitable, why not examine the possibilities of Linux within
| your enterprise?
`----

http://www.cio.com/article/120452

Musings on Vista