Re: Hilf on open source Strategy

____/ [H]omer on Saturday 17 November 2007 03:45 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that Doug Mentohl spake thusly:
>
>> Why is it that every time a new version of Windows comes out, the
>> SAMBA team has to spend ages catching up in trying to reverse
>> engineeer the 'open' protocols?
>
> .----
> | I don't know whether you know, but there's a new protocol that's
> | been added in Vista, SMB2. And, if you read the Microsoft
> | publicity, it's sort of "oh, it's this new internet-friendly
> | filesystem, it's designed to reduce latency!" [...] Anyway, so
> | we're unsure about this thing, and I run into a guy — who shall
> | remain nameless, for this podcast anyway — he was a fairly senior
> | person at Microsoft, who had left to join an open source company.
> | We're chatting about SMB2, and he just sort of shook his head, and
> | said "yeah, you know why we did that?" I said "no", and he said
> | "yeah, and the engineers were told to fuck with Samba."
> `----                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Heh.

> http://itspudding.com/blog/archives/51

It sounds like something Ballmer would tell them while rattling a chair.

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow, this is absolutely devastating!  As near as I can tell, the poor
| guy at Microsoft has been trying to support open standards against
| management.  He doesn't say much about the history, i.e. the fact that
| Microsoft didn't do anything with IE until they were recently forced to
| by Firefox competition.   The feedback is amazing.  Example:
|
| Quote:
| -------------
| So if you believe that the reason for IE's lack of standards support is
| something other than malice of forethought to strangle other browsers,
| you are wrong. If you have followed the anti-trust trial you would have
| seen the actual evidence for these decisions. Microsoft is an
| anti-competitive company run by unethical shitheads.
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|
| This won't change until the workforce is slashed and the entire company
| culture changes. Steve Ballmer is the king of the shitheads, so when he
|                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| goes things might get better. But until then, expect MS to only do the
| absolute minimum to defuse the worst criticism. Remember my words:
| unethical shitheads.
| -------------
| End quote
|
| Erik cited this same guy's blog a few days ago to support the notion
| that Microsoft is dedicated to standards compliance and is doing the
| reasonable thing (I think that's why he cited it).  The way this story
| has developed, it shows exactly the opposite, and is very revealing
| about sentiments out there in the developer world.
`----

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/cc1ad063dcc0400d

Sounds about right. Not so long ago, Microsoft pretty much admitted
breaking/ignoring standards in IE6.

,----[ Quote ]
| [Microsoft:] ...we should take the lead in establishing a common
| approach to UI and to interoperability (of which OLE is only a part). Our
| efforts to date are focussed too much on our own apps, and only incidentally
| on the rest of the industry. We want to own these standards, so we should
| not participate in standards groups. Rather, we should call 'to me' to the
| industry and set a standard that works now and is for everyone's
| benefit. We are large enough that this can work.
`----

http://www.os2site.com/sw/info/comes/px09509.zip

Is Microsoft learning from Web standards mistakes?

,----[ Quote ]
| In a video interview with ZDNet Australia last month, Microsoft blogger and
| group manager of technical community, Frank Arrigo, explained how important
| it is for the Redmond giant to follow Web standards.
|
| "Standards are important," said Arrigo, who admitted that Microsoft had been
| guilty of ignoring them in the past. "If you look at IE6, we didn't quite
| follow all the standards but standards are important ... IE7 as an example is
| trying to address that."
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Is-Microsoft-learning-from-Web-standards-mistakes-/0,130061733,339280240,00.htm

Here is another soc-called "shithead" (see reference above):

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/2000/PX02991.pdf

One person' diction is another's verbiage
 07:00:04 up 17 days, 10:58,  4 users,  load average: 1.80, 1.71, 1.86