[News] YouTube Might Get Worse, Not Better (Proprietary Codecs?)

  • Subject: [News] YouTube Might Get Worse, Not Better (Proprietary Codecs?)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 00:28:24 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
High-quality YouTube videos coming soon

,----[ Quote ]
| Chen told me he expects that high-quality YouTube videos will be available to
| everyone within three months.
|
| Chen also confirmed that in YouTube's internal archive, all video is stored
| at the native resolution in which it was sent. However, he said, a large
| portion of YouTube videos are pretty poor quality to begin with--320x240.
| Streaming them in high-quality mode isn't going to help much.
`----

http://www.webware.com/8301-1_109-9817732-2.html

Will they use the latest Adobe 'gift' (patch for version 9)? What about gnash?
They probably use these proprietary codecs that Adobe licenses. Welcome to the
binary Web... DivX is already buying 'IP'...

DivX Acquires MainConcept AG, Leading Provider of H.264 Technology

,----[ Quote ]
| DivX, Inc. (NASDAQ:DIVX) today announced it has acquired MainConcept AG, a
| leading provider of H.264 and other high-quality video technologies for the
| broadcast, film, consumer electronics and computer software markets.
`----

http://www.divx.com/company/press/press_detail.php?pr_id=273

Yesterday:

Berners-Lee warns of 'walled gardens' for mobile Internet

,----[ Quote ]
| On the opening day of Mobile Internet World in Boston, the man credited with
| inventing the World Wide Web told a packed hall that the mobile Internet
| needs to be fully and completely the Internet, nothing more and nothing less.
| It needs to be free of central control, universal, and embodied in open
| standards.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1270135625&rid=-50

Related:

ECIS Accuses Microsoft of Plotting HTML Hijack

,----[ Quote ]
| An industry coalition that has represented competitors of Microsoft
| in European markets before the European Commission stepped up its
| public relations offensive this morning, this time accusing
| Microsoft of scheming to upset HTML's place in the fabric of
| the Internet with XAML, an XML-based layout lexicon forn
| etwork applications.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/ECIS_Accuses_Microsoft_of_Plotting_HTML_Hijack/1169824569

Microsoft's 'Everywhere' excludes Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| This browser add-on enables rendering of WPF content, but
| "Everywhere" doesn't include Linux.

Microsoft's Silverlight Biased and Doomed

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2545&Itemid=449