Re: [News] Red Hat-based and Debian-based Linuxes Not So Different After All?

> Ubuntu 7.10 & Fedora 8 Performance Compared
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The bottom line is with our hardware we had used and these common Phoronix
>| benchmarks, the performance of Fedora 8 and Ubuntu 7.10 was deadlocked. There
>| was no clear winner. If you are trying to decide between taking the Ubuntu or
>| Fedora route, you're best off looking at the distribution's features and what
>| they mean to you.
> `----
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=912&num=1

Umm, well, what did anyone expect?  The difference between the
distributions has pretty much always been about what's packaged, rather
than a cycles/sec type calculation.  I can only recall one variation,
which was Stampede Linux, which had been specifically developed to run
on pentium machines, which were in their first generation at the time,
if memory serves correctly.