[News] Summit Concludes That Software Patents Harm Everyone

  • Subject: [News] Summit Concludes That Software Patents Harm Everyone
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 03:11:22 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Open Source Summit Review

,----[ Quote ]
| The resounding message of the Olswang’s and Greenberg Traurig’s Friday Open
| Source Summit was that software patents are bad for business. Bruce Perens’s
| message against software patents and that the European Patent Litigation
| Agreement (EPLA) should not become a reality was echoed throughout the day by
| numerous speakers to be restated once again during Simon Phipps closing
| keynote. The main argument was that these patents hinder software development
| because of their high transaction costs, and that Europe can maintain
| advantages by not allowing these patents (available in the US and elsewhere)
| on its shores.
`----

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/2007/11/13/open-source-summit-review/

Related:

Critic of Software Patents Wins Nobel Prize in Economics

.----[ Quote ]
| doom writes "You've probably already heard that the Nobel Prize
| for Economics was given to three gents who were working on advances
| in mechanism design theory. What you may not have heard is what one
| of those recipients was using that theory to study: 'One recent
| subject of Professor Maskin's wide-ranging research has been on the
| value of software patents. He determined that software was a market
| where innovations tended to be sequential, in that they were built
| closely on the work of predecessors, and innovators could take many
| different paths to the same goal. In such markets, he said, patents
| might serve as a wall that inhibited innovation rather than
| stimulating progress.' Here's one of Maskin's papers on the
| subject: Sequential Innovation, Patents, limitation (pdf).
`----

http://rss.slashdot.org/~r/Slashdot/slashdotYourRightsOnline/~3/170631743/article.pl

Mark Webbink On: Software Patents

,----[ Quote ]
| This week Mark Webbink, former Red Hat General Counsel discusses software
| patents, their absurdity and the business climate and “judicial activism”
| that helped create them.
`----

http://truthhappens.redhatmagazine.com/2007/10/19/mark-webbink-on-software-patents/

A Patent Lie

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/09/opinion/09lee.html

,----[ Quote ]
| ...Thanks to Mr. Gates, we now know that an open Internet with protocols
| anyone can implement is communism...
|
| ...Mr. Gates' secret is out now--he too was a "communist;" he, too,
| recognized that software patents were harmful-until Microsoft
| became one of these giants...
`----

http://news.com.com/Bill+Gates+and+other+communists/2010-1071_3-5576230.html?part=rss&tag=5575731&subj=news.1071.20

Big businesses boast of patent benefits, for small businesses

,----[ Quote ]
| A report published by an EU task force on intellectual property claims
| that small businesses benefit from a patent system, despite lacking
| almost any participation by the small business community.
|
| Instead, the report, titled IPR (intellectual property rights) for
| competitiveness and innovation, was written up almost entirely by
| large corporations and the patent industry.
|
| [...]
|
| The report does note objections from the likes of patentfrei.de and
| Sun Microsystems, which were recorded at some length in the report.
| But this does not appear to have impacted the conclusion of the
| report in any way
|
| [...]
|
| Jean-Pierre Laisne, of ObjectWeb, an open source software community,
| said that he found the report useless: participants were told that
| all their contributions would be recorded but at the end only
| those of Business Software Alliance and Microsoft were used.
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/99155/big-businesses-boast-of-patent-benefits-for-small-businesses.html

Telling the Truth About Software Patents and Innovation

,----[ Quote ]
| Would abolishing software patents, then, lessen innovation among large
| companies? Again, no. IBM, Microsoft and Oracle were founded before software
| could be patented. They couldn't afford to quit innovating simply because
| patent protection became unavailable.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20071101145010612

Playing Microsoft Patent Poker

,----[ Quote ]
| This time though, while Ballmer slinks away to try to con … convince people
| that Microsoft Unified Communications somehow offers people more than what
| Cisco's VOIP (voice over IP) been offering customers for years, a patent
| attack finally launches at Linux. Specifically, IP Innovation, a subsidiary
| of Acacia Technologies Group, has filed a patent infringement claim against
| Linux distributors Novell and Red Hat.
|
| So was it just timing, or was it something more? Let's take a look at the
| players.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2201579,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616

Is Acacia link with Microsoft just smoke?

,----[ Quote ]
| Is all this smoke just coincidence? It may well be. But the smoke gets
| thicker by the day.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1587

Prior Art - What's a Claim Limitation?

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a 2005 case, so a lot has happened in the meantime. Oh, and if you are
| looking for prior art, the patent to look at first would be the oldest one of
| the ones IP Innovation has claimed in the Red Hat litigation. That is the one
| that I think needs to be knocked out either by prior art or by obviousness.

Patent Sanity

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/4168