Re: If msft were to cease operations today...

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 22:12:24 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ____/ Mike on Thursday 15 November 2007 21:35 : \____
>
>> If msft were to cease operations today:
>>
>> Disadvantages:
>>
>> NONE
>>

>> Advantages:
>>
>> 1) About $50 Billion/year would be freed up for consumers to spend more
>> productively
>>
>> 2) The court system would be relieved of a huge burden
>>
>> 3) Standardized formats would be created and shared freely
>>
>> 4) Careers in software would once again regain prestige (as opposed to
>> the contempt that msft has brought upon the industry)
>>
>> 5) Real innovation would return to the software industry (without the
>> threat of being sued by msft or having IP commandeered by its
>> monopolistic tricks)
>>
>> 6) Linux would flourish (even more than it already is)
>>

>> That's off the top of my head, I'm sure there's others...
>
> The following was published (and became popular) some months ago.
>
> 2007: a world without Microsoft?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The disappearance of Microsoft and Windows would leave a massive |
> vacuum in the computing industry - who would be able to take | advantage
> and slip into the gap? Who would benefit the most? |
> | [...]
> |
> | Linux is already offering alternatives to Microsoft, and would |
> easily rush into the gap.
> `----
>
> http://apcmag.com/4891/a_world_without_microsoft
>
> Worth a look.

Yes, good article.  Although I disagree that there would be a massive
vacuum, IMO it would eliminate the massive vacuum that is attached to
corporate America's checkbook.  I don't know why some think the world
would come to a grinding halt if msft suddenly disappeared, it's not like
the windows OS would stop working (at least not any more than it normally
does).  The only thing that would be missing is the constant flow of new
incompatibilities being released on newly purchased PCs driving the
coerced upgrade cycle (and who needs that?).

Here's another good part of the article:

"Regardless of which distro becomes the dominant one, it's a fair
assumption that Linux, not Apple, would be the new face of business
computing. Apple might be incredibly popular, but it has next to nothing
to offer in the world of corporate IT."

Which is why the sooner msft is eliminated the better, just have to get
the corporate lemmings out of their matrix-like pods so they'll wake up
and see that they no longer have to send msft $50 billion/yr, once that
happens the rest is a given...