Re: Microsoft Pulls Another RIAA: DRM on Software (aka "Rent, Not Own")

HangEveryRepubliKKKan wrote:
"High Plains Thumper" wrote

Why 'pay-as-you-go' when the Sun professionally developed
StarOffice and free OpenOffice are feature rich products,
well suited for most office automation applications.

I remember writers using Wordstar 3.0 in CP/M-80 write their
novels, thesis, research papers, etc.  They were productive.
I was productive. The latest StarOffice is definitely more
than that.  For one, I still find WordPerfect 6.1 for
Windows 3.1 much easier to work with than MS Word. How much
more then, OpenOffice.

You are entirely missing the issue.  Open Office is absolutely
good enough for the office.  Notepad is good enough for the
office.  But Open Office is absolutely good enough.

That is a rather assumptive, arrogant reply from you. I have used both OpenOffice and Microsoft Office, along with other office automation suites over time. Even the free version OpenOffice, sans the additional features offered in commercial product StarOffice, is more than "just good enough". It is definitely suitable for the work environment.

The question is not is Open Office good enough. The question
is why isn't everyone using Open Office.

You seem to have your blinders on, trollboi. The ranks are increasing with those who use alternate products to Microsoft.

When you have that answer you will know how to compete with
Microsoft.

http://www.around.com/microsoft.html

[quote]
Before he installed Windows 95, John Dodge connected to the Internet using software from a Microsoft competitor, CompuServe's Internet in a Box. Not anymore—Windows 95 silently disabled a key piece of his setup and made it too difficult for him to reinstall it. Dodge is no novice. He is senior executive editor of the trade journal PC Week and so had access to the highest-level support engineers. But life is short and even software professionals learn to take the path of least resistance—in this case, the path leading to Microsoft. He has become a regular user of the new Microsoft Network, though he has trouble with its Internet features. Still, he believes Microsoft executives when they deny trying to gain market share by sabotaging competitors' software. He just wonders whether Microsoft "has a full appreciation of its actions in the market place."
  There is reason to believe that Microsoft does.
[/quote]

There is a reason why Microsoft has monopolised the market with its software products. Above is an example of how Microsoft eliminated competing CompuServe's Internet in a Box.

Microsoft makes decisions on other's people's software, without consulting them.

[quote]
The truth is not quite so innocent. Most Internet dial-up software written for Windows relies on a piece of software called winsock. Everyone's winsock is supposed to be more or less interchangeable with everyone else's, but differences do exist. Many vendors put their winsock into the Windows directory of the user's computer—a friendly practice, since it is then available to other software that might need it, but a risky one, too. If Windows 95 sees a non-Microsoft winsock, it carefully and explicitly replaces it.
[/quote]

I was unable to install WordPerfect 6.1 on Windows NT 4.0, because of a single dll with the name wp*.dll in the NT systems directory.

Microsoft eliminates competition by its practises.

But you LinTards/UniTards haven't managed to figure it out
in the last 30 years.

LOL, I get an electrifying charge when I hear these old, worn, bent cliches, from insulting trollbois like you. You are a riot, really.

--
HPT