Re: Microsoft Pulls Another RIAA: DRM on Software (aka "Rent, Not Own")

____/ High Plains Thumper on Thursday 15 November 2007 11:01 : \____

> bmillerjacobson wrote:

>> Just when I thought their software couldn't get any more
>> expensive, they come up with this. From their point of view,
>> this might scream huge profits, but I bet users will just get
>> fed up eventually and go open source, for the most part.
>
> Actually what I find appalling is the essence of greed, rather
> than value added, cost effective, feature rich, most wanted
> customer items, etc. focus.
>
> Why 'pay-as-you-go' when the Sun professionally developed
> StarOffice and free OpenOffice are feature rich products, well
> suited for most office automation applications.

Great analogy and a great sign of things to come (with Oh-Oh-XML to ensure you
can't escape with your crucial data):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4ZhPI1eic4

Yes, it's a new commercial.

> I remember writers using Wordstar 3.0 in CP/M-80 write their
> novels, thesis, research papers, etc.  They were productive.  I
> was productive.  The latest StarOffice is definitely more than
> that.  For one, I still find WordPerfect 6.1 for Windows 3.1 much
> easier to work with than MS Word.  How much more then, OpenOffice.
>
> That one must have a particular brand of proprietary, monopolised
> software to be productive is simply gobshite, pure and simple.

Let's see if the governments allow Microsoft get people 'addicted' (infected
rather.... or locked in).

Governments Must Reject Gates' $3 Bid to Addict Next Billion PC Users

,----[ Quote ]
| "Microsoft's strategy of getting developing nations hooked on its
| software was clearly outlined by Bill Gates almost a decade ago," said
| Con Zymaris, CEO of long-standing open source firm Cybersource.
|
| Specifically, Bill Gates, citing China as an example, said:
|
|   "Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but
|   people don't pay for the software," he said. "Someday they will, though.
|   As long as they are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours.
|   They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to
|   collect sometime in the next decade."[1]
`----

http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/gates_set_to_addict_next_billion.html

They also give trial versions now and do contracts with OEMs... everything to
get people imprisoned by the proprietary format that is Oh Oh XML!! Oh oh!

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Microsof(fshore)t Window(ntime)s Vista(gnating)
         run-level 2  2007-10-30 19:49                   last=