[News] Mozilla Proves Financial Viability of Fully Open Source Software

  • Subject: [News] Mozilla Proves Financial Viability of Fully Open Source Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 02:55:17 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Mozilla responds: Firefox is independent

| In this interview, Mozilla's technology strategist Mike Shaver responds to
| and rejects recent claims that Firefox and Google are getting a bit too close
| for comfort. Mozilla is independent, he says, with or without Google's $56
| million.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/surveillance-state/8301-13739_1-9813407-46.html?tag=head

Oracle Claims it contributes to open source, but it's just a PR routine. They
won't embrace open source until it means that OSS can make more money than
their blobs, which are gradually being replaced by FOSS anyway.

What did Oracle ever do for open source? Part one.

,----[ Quote ]
| Here at OpenWorld Oracle hosted a round table on its open source strategy
| earlier today. Here’s what happened as it happened, including Oracle’s
| engagement with open source communities and contributions to Linux and open
| source middleware.
| NB All comments are paraphrased unless direct quote marks are used.

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2007/11/14/what-did-oracle-ever-do-for-open-source-part-one/

What did Oracle ever do for open source? Part two.

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2007/11/14/what-did-oracle-ever-do-for-open-source-part-two/

Old:

Will Oracle launch Unbreakable MySQL?

,----[ Quote ]
| "They have hinted to us that they will," said Mickos, indicating
| that the database giant is planning to repeat its October 2006
| Unbreakable Linux plan, which saw it undercut Red Hat with
| enterprise Linux support.
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/01/will_oracle_lau.html

Previewing 2007: Oracle

,----[ Quote ]
| Though it's had a grand 2006 thus far, Oracle stock has
| hit a rough patch recently, down about 13% since November...
|
| Another threat: open-source databases. Open-source software is
| software developed by a global community of programmers, which is
| done through the Internet. For the most part, there is no license
| fee for this type of software. And, yes, there are serious databas
| players, such as Ingres and MySQL.
|
| Realizing the threat, Oracle has been trying to create confusion
| in the open-source marketplace. For example, the company purchased
| some open-source providers, like Sleepycat.
|
| What's more, open source is a threat to Oracle's middleware business
| (this is software that connects two systems, such as a server witha
| database). For example, this year Red Hat purchased the dominant
| open-source middleware player, JBoss.
|
| But Oracle had a brutal response; the company offered to provide
| cut-rate support for Red Hat's services, which resulted in a
| plunge in that company's stock. Interestingly enough, thes
| cuttlebutt is that Oracle did this to make it cheaper to
| utimately buy out Red Hat.
`----

http://www.fool.com/investing/high-growth/2006/12/28/previewing-2007-oracle.aspx?source=eptyholnk303100&logvisit=y&npu=y
http://tinyurl.com/utqd2

Customer Backlash Against Oracle's Buggy Linux Product?

,----[ Quote ]
| And there is other feedback showing that Oracle's Linux is extremely buggy,
| and it keeps crashing, and Oracle has generated quite a bit of backlash and
| animosity from the broader open source community towards Oracle. So, I
| guess the question is, is it realistic to think that Oracle is just going
| to ride this experiment into the ground, or would you expect them to
| possibly withdraw their offering from the marketplace?
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/061222/22921_id.html?.v=1

Oracle's Offering and Red Hat's Response

,----[ Quote ]
| You may wish to view Larry Ellison's keynote for yourself, in which he
| cited the SCO Group's litigation, believe it or not, claiming it is
| holding back Linux adoption in the enterprise... The vendors aren't
| offering indemnification, Ellison said, and because of SCO, there's
| all this uncertainty and doubt about intellectual property. He says he
| will offer indemnification. In the Q&A at the end, he was asked if
| Oracle was planning to buy SCO to bring that uncertainty to an end.
| No, was the answer.
|
| If he thought they were going to be victorious, he'd buy them in a
| New York minute. No uncertainty or doubt about that. So who is he
| kidding?
|
| Red Hat already has their response on their website, with a big sign
| on their homepage that reads: "Unfakeable Linux - Red Hat responds."
| The most important thing they say is that it's not true that you must
| upgrade to the most recent version to get support, as Elliso
| claimed in his speech.
|
| [...]
|
|  Making Linux more successful in the enterprise is the right goal. But
| not if you kill off what makes Linux desirable, namely ethics. It's the
| value add of FOSS, and if the corporate guys don't figure that out soon,
| they really will kill the Golden Goose. Let me explain in one sentence
| why:
|
|     Cut throat competition destroys software.
|
| The Open Source process is built on the the same principles that work
| in any scientific environment. You share knowledge. You cooperate.
| Business always wants to balkanize. They very nearly killed Unix
| doing exactly that. And here they go with Linux, trying the same
| stupid thing.

Oracle up to bat: Red Hat bashing possible

,----[ Quote ]
| In what's expected to be an otherwise so-so second quarter report, Oracle
| may shed some light on its two-month-old plan to support Red Hat Linux.
|
| [...]
|
| The wild-card in all this is Oracle's take on its Linux support
| initiative and what that means for Red Hat. Now it is possible
| Oracle won't mention Linux, but typically Larry Ellison slaps
| some rival around and talking trash against SAP has got to be
| getting old.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=4161

Oracle Rumored to Covet Ingres