Re: [News] More Linux Advocacy in the Telegraph

____/ SomeBloke on Tuesday 13 November 2007 11:38 : \____

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2007/11/13/ecrboot13.xml

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2007/11/12/ecrboot12.xml

> Puppy just works. Simple as that. I have had several clients whose Windows
> installs were completely hosed and, after booting from the Puppy disc and
> backing up their documents and email folders to a USB stick I have been
> able to get their systems back up and running.
> This has usually meant a complete reinstall of course. One major problem
> seems to be that the client can't find their discs! Good job that I keep
> several tools that allow me to use a different Windows disc and 'upgrade'
> the Product Key after installation so that the system can be approved by
> Big Brother for use!
>
> Puppy is also blindingly fast even on a modest setup. I have never tried to
> install it on a hard drive but that could be real fun. Just how fast would
> it be, and would the system catch fire?
>
> Tim.

I've just changes distrod at home myself. 11:20: ran the live CD... ran the
installer, went to the gym... got back and it's all working out of the box
correctly... network with DHCP, correct screen resolution... OpenSSH already
here. What _on earth_ do trolls say about GNU/Linux being hard to install?
It's caveman-friendly. Even the installer was as simply as the screen
instructions that they make for 100-year-old seniors to use a voting machine.

Linux installation is boring. I still want to try OpenBSD some time.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | FreeBSD - sidling with a little devil
roy      pts/3        cg093a.halls.man Tue Nov 13 12:47   still logged in