[News] Helping the Environment with GNU/Linux Desktop

  • Subject: [News] Helping the Environment with GNU/Linux Desktop
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 21:13:30 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
What’s So Green About Free Software?

,----[ Quote ]
| ...while greens are typically not much better at using free software
| that the average joe, I’d say they are more supportive and curious about it.
| How come? What is it about green ideology that says free software is a good
| idea? Environmentalism? Liberalism? Global solidarity?
|
| The greens often claims that the main dividing line in politics is not the
| (somewhat outdated) left to right scale. Instead, they say the real divide is
| between large and small scale solutions; mono culture vs. diversity. And for
| the greens diversity is not only about the ecosystem, but also about social
| security, education, democracy and economics. And dare I say - technology.
`----

http://alt.tech.idealist.nu/?p=48

I have a dream

,----[ Quote ]
| I’d love to work for the city of Munich for example, where they change 14,000
| desktops to free and open source software - and I’m a big supporter of that,
| as most of you know. I even met these people, who helped at our Debian booth
| at the Systems fair in Munich. But getting a job with them? As good as
| impossible.
|
| So what is my idea?
|
| In a high tech surrounding like here, there are thousands or even millions of
| computers around. Remember, this is the place where everybody is: companies
| like Microsoft, Google, Texas Instruments, or HP, to name a few big ones. And
| in Germany, the computers run by these companies fall out of amortization
| after a period of 4 years. After that time, most of them will be replaced by
| newer and faster ones.
`----

http://wolfgang.lonien.de/?p=504

Related:

Why pay thousands to restrictive software companies when open source programmes
are free, easy to use and green?

,----[ Quote ]
| This week, the Greens have joined together with Friends of the Earth, New
| Internationalist, People and Planet and the Free Software Foundation to call
| on other social and activist groups to reject Microsoft's Vista operating
| system and encourage the use of free software.
`----

http://www.newstatesman.com/200708280002

Linux, Windows duke it out over energy efficiency

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux appears to have an advantage at the moment: Companies are becoming
| increasingly open to adopting the platform both in the server room and on the
| desktop. Big-name vendors like IBM, HP, and Novell are giving the penguin a
| push in the datacenter, framing it as a flexible and energy-efficient
| platform. The fact that Linux offers greater virtualization opportunities
| than Windows (a sentiment recently expressed by the VMWare CTO Mendel
| Rosenblum) only strengthens the platform's green standing.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/sustainableit/archives/2007/08/linux_and_windo.html?source=rss

GNU/Linux is the most power-efficient OS on Intel hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| According to a keynote given at OSCON, Intel's PowerTOP application has
| allowed developers to get a close-up view of what is sucking power in a
| GNU/Linux system. Apparently they've gotten so much feedback and patches that
| they've been able to extend battery life by an hour since the first release,
| making GNU/Linux the best OS for power saving.
`----

http://digg.com/linux_unix/GNU_Linux_is_the_most_power_efficient_OS_on_Intel_hardware

Report: Linux, open source greener than Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| A new report from the U.K. Office of Government Commerce about Open
| Source Software Trials in Government, has found that servers running
| Linux could combat the rising problem of e-waste because they last
| up to twice as long as machines running Windows.
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1246762,00.html?track=sy184
http://tinyurl.com/38cge3

Koolu Aims to Revive Thin Client Computing with a Low-Power Ubuntu Device

,----[ Quote ]
| Koolu is powered by the Ubuntu Linux operating system software.
`----

http://www.avecmobile.com/index.php?id=987

What is Tiny, Green, and Penguin-Friendly?

,----[ Quote ]
| This article briefly goes over six mini systems that you don't have to build
| yourself. They are an ideal platform for a project or for a silent system for
| simple tasks like checking your email. The intention was to find systems that
| are small, Linux-ready, and customizable, but price was factored in as well.
`----

http://www.xyzcomputing.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=1122

How Green Is Your PC? Zonbu's Open Source Alternative

,----[ Quote ]
| Because the Zonbox design includes a low-power consuming chip from Via
| Technologies, and no hard drive or fan, it requires less energy. It uses a 4
| GB flash drive instead of a hard-disk drive for storing files, photos and
| music, in addition to the 25 GB of storage capacity available for the monthly
| service via Amazon's S3 service. It also comes with 20 open source
| applications pre-loaded.

Is 'green' software possible?

,----[ Quote ]
| He suggests using software such as Puppy Linux, a low resource version of
| Linux, and Portable Apps, a service-based approach to delivering
| applications.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/07/21/green_software_possibility/

16,000 Linux computers delivered - for free

,----[ Quote ]
| With his non-profit organization called Alameda County Computer Resource
| Center, he built up a volunteer organization, collects donated stuff from the
| companies who provide them, strips any proprietary OS and software off the
| drives, re-installs everything with Linux and free applications, and then
| gives them to schools or other not-for-profit organizations or individuals
| without too much cash.
|
| A great man with a great mission. CNN called him a hero already.

WEEE directive threatens Microsoft OEM sales

,----[ Quote ]
| There's a possibility Microsoft may well dump the OEM scheme and that
| could prompt small firms that don't want to be WEEEing to install Linux
| or even pirate OSes.

Consumer electronics vs. Planet Earth

,----[ Quote ]
| several makers of Linux-based thin-client devices have begun
| touting their devices as environmentally-friendly alternatives
| to standard desktop PCs. Meanwhile, several companies are
| working to build Linux-based network computers for home users,
| including Zonbu, Linutop, and Thinteknix.

Apple has toxic core: Greenpeace

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite Apple's launch of the eco-friendly iPhone last week,
| Greenpeace is demanding an environmental revolution that will
| shake the company to its core.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/01/16/greenpeace_slams_apple/

Vista poses environmental dangers

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Vista could have serious environmental implications,
| experts have warned.
|
| The latest version of Windows uses encryption methods that are
| incompatible with some older PCs. It also features high-end
| graphics capabilities that can only run on newer hardware.
`----

http://www.computing.co.uk/computing/news/2174400/vista-poses-environmental

Greenpeace: Vista could trigger a deluge of electronic waste

,----[ Quote ]
| Beau Baconguis of the Southeast Asia section of the environmental
| protection organization Greenpeace has warned that the introduction
| by Microsoft of its new operating system Windows Vista might as a
| side effect trigger a deluge of electronic waste (E-waste). "With
| Vista, Microsoft could effectively hasten the obsolesence of half
| the world's PCs, especially in the absence of fully-functioning
| global take back systems for PCs," Ms. Baconguis declared.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/84816/from/rss09

Vista gets slated - by the Greens

,----[ Quote ]
| The Green Party has slammed Microsoft and it's forthcoming operating
| system, Windows Vista, in a withering attack on the company's "monopoly".
|
| Microsoft not only takes criticism for allegedly environmentally
| unfriendly policies, but for attacking civil liberties.
|
| The party claims that "Vista gives Microsoft the ability to lock
| you out of your computer," and that "Microsoft are determined not
| to play fair" in the video content market.
`----

http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/news.php?id=107813

Use GNU/Linux and help save the planet

,----[ Quote ]
| Are Windows users, not by choice, the worst polluters of the planet
| relative to GNU/Linux? Well, not intentionally but the lifecycle of
| a machine running Windows must be shorter than that of a
| conscientious Linux user who can prevent that old 400MHZ Celeron PC
| with 128MBs of memory gathering dust in the corner from heading for
| the scrapheap.
|
| [...]
|
| The Chinese have a saying: the journey of a thousand miles begins
| with the first step. Reusing a puffing and wheezing old computer
| by installing a minimal GNU/Linux distro and staving off the day
| when it trudges forlornly to the scrapheap is at least a baby step
| in the right direction.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/use_gnu_linux_and_help_save_the_planet

Computers in schools are an environmental time-bomb

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://opensourceblog.itproportal.com/?p=213