[News] 8 Distributions Tested by Professional Who Left Microsoft Windows

  • Subject: [News] 8 Distributions Tested by Professional Who Left Microsoft Windows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 10:03:04 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Comparing Linux Distributions - Final Results

,----[ Quote ]
| All of these distros except OpenSuse (couldn't load) are great options for
| those wanting to move to Linux (I will try Mint again later). For those who
| are more experienced with administering Linux desktops, you may have come to
| different conclusions. I did spend a lot of time with most distros performing
| command line magic to make some things work (especially on the 64-bit
| environment). Kubuntu and Ubuntu were the only distros where I just installed
| and went on my way. All others required some amount of tweaking.
|
| I had the luxury of owning several different machines and some time to
| experiment with the different Linux distributions. Each distribution that I
| was able to get up and running ran well. I was able to make use out of some
| old machines that were running poorly on XP. Most importantly, my new laptop
| that was running Vista very slowly is now cruising with Mepis.
|
| By no means was this a highly scientific experiment. This is the view from a
| technical guy with limited systems administration skills. Take it for what
| it's worth. My recommendation is Kubuntu and Mepis.
`----

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/eai/madgreek/archives/comparing-linux-distributions-final-results-20431

He seems to have been very happy since he left Windows. He was an example for
some people to follow.

Related:

Linux Mint KDE Edition vs. Kubuntu Feisty Fawn: Desktop Productivity Test

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux desktop is very important these days as it tries so hard to
| fight with giants like Windows and Mac OS X to conquer the new user. In
| my opinion, the best weapon for Linux to win this battle is the famous
| KDE (K Desktop Environment) because not only does it look very much
| like the Windows desktop, but it has also features from both Mac OS
| X and Windows.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Linux-Mint-KDE-Edition-vs-Kubuntu-Feisty-Fawn-Desktop-Productivity-51712.shtml
http://tinyurl.com/yw2s6f

New Desktop Face-Off: Gnome 2.20 vs KDE 3.5

,----[ Quote ]
| You'll have to decide which tradeoffs between the KDE's functionality and
| Gnome's simplicity will make your work easier, in isolation or by
| collaborating with others.
`----

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2007/10/25/gnome--kde-face-off.html

KDE 4 Beta Videos

,----[ Quote ]
| Jos Poortvliet has produced a set of videos showing some features fo the
| upcoming KDE 4. Until now the featured applications are some games, KTouch,
| Kalzium and Gwenview.
`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/10/25/kde-4-beta-videos/

Ready for a new K: an inside look at KDE 4.0

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://rackit.gartnerwebdev.com/2007/08/28/ready-for-a-new-k-an-inside-look-at-kde-40/